Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 01 Cummins, 5spd man tranny, with cruise, and I was trying to figure out if anyone makes an actual high idle switch for them. I know about the flash programming to install the automatic high idle, but I was looking more for a manual high idle switch, like what we used to have in our Ford rescue vehicle, where I can activate it or turn it off when I want to.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
On 2008-01-19 20:17, dennhop wrote:
I've got an 01 Cummins, 5spd man tranny, with cruise, and I was trying to figure out if anyone makes an actual high idle switch for them. I know about the flash programming to install the automatic high idle, but I was looking more for a manual high idle switch, like what we used to have in our Ford rescue vehicle, where I can activate it or turn it off when I want to.

it will automatically come on when the temp is just right...if you have the flash on your pcm. There is a company that makes a 3 cylinder high idle for the 98.5-02 ctd.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Practical Solutions used to make a kit. But you can build a kit out of the proper resistor, a switch and some wire.

Do some searching on the net for 2nd gen high idle switches and something should come up.

You have to tap into the APPS circut.

Dave

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Mine was dealer flashed for this high idle feature, which I believe comes on at 30 degrees and lower and idles the truck to 1000 RPMs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the auto flash, the dealer here wants 85 dollars to do it, but I was hoping to get a manual one installed, since I'm going to be winching alot, I want to be able to kick it up when I want to, not just on warm up...

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
I know you wanna make your own, and if you do let me know. That sounds kinda like something i wouldnt mind having.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a place that makes them...contact Muddy on idahobombersforum.com, and ask him, they seem fairly reasonable, he estimated me a price of around 45, not sure about the price, whether that will go up or down, but they do have kits...contact him, and he can get a hold of his supplier, and you could buy one...I don't have the time to fab one up, so I'm just going to buy it from him, as long as the price is reasonable...I'd rather have a manually controlled one, than the auto flash from the dealer, cause i want to be able to set it when I need it, especially if I'm winching at the time, I want to be able to kick the high idle up, to keep the alternator charging during winching operations.

Reactions: 2003stroker

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
If you do buy one, please take a lot of pics and do a write up on it! I might look into this before long! If i ever get caught up on all my other projects.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got my high idle switch, hbowers is the username on idahoturbodiesels.com. it took me about 20 minutes to install it, didn't get any pics, but it came with instructions. really easy kit to install, you just have to press the gas pedal down to above 1200 rpm, then engage the switch, and it stays in a high idle state about 1400 rpm. It's adjustable, but it was getting dark, so I left it at that for now. really reasonable, only 55 dollars with shipping and handling. Oh, and did I mention that it was really easy to install?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know, double post, but it was taking way too long to load the page to edit...I'll try and get some pics in the next few days of what it is and how it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I got my high idle switch, hbowers is the username on idahoturbodiesels.com. it took me about 20 minutes to install it, didn't get any pics, but it came with instructions. really easy kit to install, you just have to press the gas pedal down to above 1200 rpm, then engage the switch, and it stays in a high idle state about 1400 rpm. It's adjustable, but it was getting dark, so I left it at that for now. really reasonable, only 55 dollars with shipping and handling. Oh, and did I mention that it was really easy to install?
I need to get one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts