Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine found some HID lights for my truck at a killer price. But since my truck is already illegal I'm a little hesitant as to whether the new lights might be a waving flag to get me pulled over. I know they look really cool but i'm 99% sure they are illegal. I was wondering what you guys think will happen if I put them on?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...First off, HID lights come standard on most of the newer luxury and sports cars/suv's, so they are not illegal. Second, is this the real HID conversion kit or just the replacement bulbs that simulate HID lights. There is a huge difference between the conversion kit and the replacement bulbs performance and pricewise. The HID conversion kit cost anywhere from $400-$500 and increases light output 100-150% over halogen lights. The replacement simulated lamps cost anywhere from $20-$80, and the light output varies from manufacturers, and I've seen some that were priced high and the output was worse than halogen lamps. I lucked out and paid $20 for mine and the light output was exceptional...see examples:

HID-Look Replacement Bulbs:

HID Conversion Kit:

'98 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT 4X4 5.2, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 GoodYear MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Sidewinders, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Volant Cool Air Intake System w/ Ram Air Scoop, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No these aren't authentic HID lights, I could never pay $400-$500 for lights. The price for the ones I'm getting is $30 including shipping.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was also looking for some clear corners, anyone have any idea how much they are?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...check out eBay! they've got a ton of accessories for our trucks...cheap too! :D:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I replaced my stock bulbs with zenon, xenon some dang enon buld anyhow, the H4 style. simular to those pictured above. They are much brighter that the stock bulds. (80w lo 110w high) stock is 55w. The light is white with a tinge of blue, compared to the dingy yellow output of the stock lamps.
The new bulbs ran about $12.00 ea. At my local auto parts store.
Troy

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
These bulbs arent anything close to the HID system. thats right, SYSTEM. its not just bulbs that get replaced. thats the reason for the huge price tag. HID = High Intensity Discharge. basically it is a really really really hot spark that is reflected by the lamps. the xenon gas is used to fort of amplify the lighting. these systems also include capacitors and voltage multiplying boxes. they use very high voltage to achieve this hot spark, and the capacitors are used to make them hotter faster. without them the DOT would not let them on the street. it would take to long for the light to warm up. the xenon charged bulbs are definately an improvement though. i think mine toasted some wires though. anyone else had any problems like that?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Whatever you do, dont buy the cheap blue tinted bulbs at o riley auto parts. They looked cool, until they got so hot they melted the damn socket they screw in. Now im using regular old halogen lights. If yur gonna get new lights, get some from PIAA, they cost more($40-60) a pair, but are brighter and wont screw things up. Just my experience

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
i have the xenon blue bulbe from 4wpw abd they are awesome ...but if u dont have the clear sport headlights they look wierd..but i do so they look great...and clear corners are like 30 bucks a e bay

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing I'am worried about is inspection because lights are always checked and they may not be acceptable cause the truck didn't come with them. Although I guess I can always swap them out with the older ones for that day. But I think I have bigger problems to deal with for my inspection :D:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
So long as the bulb carries a DOT sticker, you're ok.

I had (stress had) PIAA 7007 SuperWhites in my low-beam sockets ('00 Ram quad-halogen sport headlamps). They were somewhat brighter, but not for the $70 they cost...

Also, they only lasted a year. After talking to a few other PIAA owners, this is normal. They just don't last that long. No signs of damage, don't look burned at all, filaments are just broken...

I have the 7004 in my high-beams, and definitely noticed an improvement there. The high-beams seem to be lasting a lot longer, even though I use them more.

I just wouldn't expect them to last a really long time...

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
i got them passed inspection...even though it said not street legal on the side of the carrier they came in....my bulbs where 40 bucks a pair at 4wpw..but because i have the sport.it has two sets of bubls so it costs me 80 bucks all together and i think it was well worth it

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the place I'm goin for inspection is willing to look past my lift and tires so I don't think they will really care about my headlights.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Last week one of the aftermarket bulbs (H4)I installed decided to stop lighting up! The High beam worked just fine. So, off to Kragen to buy a set of "normal" (H3) stock replacement bulbs. I'm back to the dingy dim yellow lights I had befor.
I do miss the white illumination of my old bulds though! If they can't last at least a year, it's not worth it for to continue using them.
Oh well..........

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...i've had mine for 2 years now with no problems...mine are made by Hiper Industies! :bigthumb: $25 incl. s/h on eBay!!!

'98 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT 4X4 5.2, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 GoodYear MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Sidewinders, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Volant Cool Air Intake System w/ Ram Air Scoop, Custom Audio System.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
9007, bt if you have a sport model then its like the 9005and the 9007.....but i bought my blbs awhile ago so i might be mistaken on the low beam.....but give me a little time and i can find out
-Neil

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
9004 :D:

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i just got the bulbs for my truck (thanks to whitesport) and i like em a lot!!. i would deffintely say go for it. i dont think you would be waving a flag at yourself to much....its not that big a deal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts