Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud owner of a mostly stock RAM 1500. I take it off road several times a year usually in clear cuts and in the woods. I'm thinking about getting a hi-lift jack but am not sure where the best placement is when lifting my rig. One place I go in Alabama is 12,000 acres of private land in the middle of no where. I'd hate to get stuck out there.

·
Administrator
9,227 Posts
Well, I suggest you pick up the Hi-Lift bumper attachment first off. That will let you lift anywhere on the rear bumper without it slipping off the curved bottom.

As for my truck. I either use the reciever tube in the rear (the jack "nose" just fits into the 2" square). That is not the most stable spot though.

In the front, I lift from my factory tow hooks. Simply line up the nose with the main portion of the hook and get it in as far as possible (careful that the jack does not drag on the bumper fascia) and lift away. The hook may bend a bit, but go back to shape once back on the ground.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Like Jason, I use my Mopar Tow Hooks up front. I could probably use my Warn Trans4mer winch mount deck for lifting, but I haven't yet resorted to that. At the rear, my Ranch Hand bumper has enough flat surface to allow for lifting from the sides.

When it comes to storing that Hi-Lift, I bought the Hi-Lift "Loc-Rack" that mounts to the edge of the bed. It rattles around a little, and the sheet metal doesn't look like it would hold long, but mine is doing fine. It's much more stable when I have my topper on.

If you have a long bed, the photo below shows a more stable mounting method, as it takes the weight off of the bed rail.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you don't have tow hooks on the front of your truck yet, i'd recommend getting them. I haven't installed any on mine yet and with my lift, I had a little problem when I lost the studs on the front tire of my truck. I had to use an ammo can for the base so I could lift my tire off the ground. I only have a 48 inch Hi-Lift. The bumper adapter doesn't seem to work on the front bumper either. There is no room for it to fit on without slipping off while jacking...and there is to much plastic (lower valance) to grip the underside of my bumper without tearing it apart...can't wait for new bumpers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts