Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the backspacing on your Centerline Hellcats (or AR 16x8 Bajas) compared to the stock 16x7 alloys? What is the back spacing on the stock 16x7s? Would 5 inches of backspacing be the right amount to stop 285/75/16s or 305/75/16s from rubbing the control arms? How about 4.5 inches? I would like to run 285s or 305s without rubbing the control arms in extreme turns. I know that I need less backspacing than the stock rims but I do not want to end up with the wheels sticking so far out that I have to get big fender flares or run into inspection problems. I will be buying new tires within a week or two and I need help deciding. I like the new American Racing 16x8 Sliders that are available with 4.975 backspacing and the 16x8 Baja that come with 4.5 inches of backspacing. I'm going to buy another set of 285/75/16 BFG ATs or move up to 305/70/16 BFG Mud/KMs and put them on 16x8 wheels. I have asked similar questions before but most people who answered did not know the backspacing that they were running.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The 16x8 AR Bajas are 4.45" backspacing (I just dug it up off their site http://www.americanracing.com).

The more back-spacing you have, the closer the tire is to the control arms. The less backspacing, the closer to the fenders you are...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much clearance do you have between your 315s and the control arms with 4.45 inches (zero offset) of backspacing? How much further do they stick out of the fenders compared to stock? Do you think you would still clear the arms with 5 inches of backspacing and 12 mm of positive offset? My 285s do not rub the inner fender but I have heavier springs (21/20) and the stock bumper.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have Centerline Hellcats 16x8 with 4.5" of backspace. They don't rub the control arms-(but I have the Rancho boxed type control arms)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I still have the stock arms, as we didn't have time to modify the bushings on the Rancho boxed arms to fit the larger 2000 and 2001 control-arm bolts.

However, I've got may 1/2" or so of clearance there(thinking from memory, may not be accurate).

The tires just barely stick out. Enough that it's probably not technically legal, but just enough to look good. The tires don't look like they stick out from teh sides of the truck, but look like they have a nice, wide stance.

·
Registered
362 Posts
4 to 4 1/2 in backspace on a 16x8in wheel would be good. It would be kickin like hot karate!!! Thats what I'm goint to run, 16x8 american racing outlawII so they will match my boat trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts