Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have wanted to get rid of my drop in bed lioner for quite some time. I admit the drop in liner was the very first addition to my new truck but I've grown tired of it rattling and making it difficult to secure cargo in the bed. I was going to spend the money for a Line-X spray in liner but I felt like I would be giving the money away since I could do it myself and save $400-$500. I did a fair amount of research and also read the 4Whwwloffroad issue that tested all of the bedliners (including ballistics testing!) and decided that I would try the Herculiner. I gave away my drop in liner and bought the gallon of Herculiner from Kragens for $89.00. Beause I do a lot of wheeling and have had the truck in the mud and at Pismo at least 10 times there was a ton of mud and sand under the drop in liner. The drop in liner also took the bed down to bare metal in several places. I spent approximately six hours prepping the bed including cleaning, sanding, cleaning, cleaning,masking, and cleaning. The application process was very easy and went without problems. Afetr approx. 1 1/2 hours I applied my second coat. I was very satisfied with the results. The second coat was very tacky when my bed mount toolbox fell on it and did no damage. My application was considerably thinner then what a spray on liner would be but that was by my choice. Several people saw the Herculiner at Frank Raines and thought it looked pretty good (but they could have been lying). There is moderate gloss to the final application but that should fade in the sun in a short amount of rime. All in all, it was good money spent. With the extra money i saved from not buying the spray in liner I bought the toolbox for the bed and a front Detroit locker.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also put the Herculiner in my truck. I've had many compliments too. I've had mine in for about 6 months and have been moving the last few days and it works great. Nothing slides around and the bed doesn't get scratched up.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
RamCC,

Keep up updated on how you like it. I've been wanted to do it for a while, but not had the time/energy/money... :):

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do Aaron. I definately had more time then money,that's why I did it. Did you get a chance to see it at Frank Raines?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yeah, I rode in the back up that hill, remember?

Nice job. I hadn't noticed until I hopped in. I didn't slide much, either, just was a bit rough on the hands.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I completely forgot you had hopped in the back. It is VERY rough but it might change over time. By the way, I'm ready to back to Frank Raines and try out the new locker......

·
Registered
134 Posts
I currently have a spray in bed liner, but it is gouged in many places and it has peeled off in some places on the bottom of the bed (Well it is about 6 yrs old!). Would it be possible for me to put herculiner over my spray in liner? I've wanted to do this for a while, but never have gotten any good advice. I used to do landscape work, so thats how my spray in got all torn up. I dont do that work anymore, so the Herculiner wouldnt see any tough abuse. Tell me what yall think.
Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You didn't mention who did your spray in liner. They may warranty the work and repair it for free for you. Otherwise I would think that you would have to prep the worn areas like regular bodywork and it would be visible all of the time that there is a different material there.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
thanks for the info. ive been thinking about doing this in my toyota but just havent gotten far enough to actually try. you said you got one gallon. did this cover your entire bed? left overs? my toy is the quad cab tacoma with the half pint bed. is a gallon too much you think? thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
my spray on liner was on it when i bought the truck and i bought it from a dealer, so i dont know where it was done. I want to totally cover up all of the old spray in with the herculiner. I was thinking i could fill in the holes in the spray in with the herculiner, and then once ive got the bed smooth i could put a few coats of herculiner over the entire bed. But this would be herculiner basically trying to stick to rubber, so im skeptical.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
red5.2ram, it would be a LOT of work to do it right. According to the Herculiner instructions if any additional coats are applied after 24 hours you will have to reprep the entire surface area. I treated doing my bedliner like regular bodywork so I spent about 6-7 hours prepping the bed and maybe 1 1/2 hours total for applying it. I think the result was worth the effort though. If you're really unhappy with it I think the easiest way would be to sandblast it out of your bed and start from there (as long as a quality masking job was done).

·
Registered
134 Posts
i dunno about sandblasting!! I think its startin to sound like i better just live with the current spray in i have. Thanks for all the info guys. Ill let you know what i decide to do
-sean

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You guys need to move out here, you can get a long bed/over the rail Line-X for under $375.00 easily, your prices out there are extreme. Move EAST guys.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've had the herc for almost a year. It gets alot of use between top soil, gravel, quad, and othe suff. I found that it hols up well to gas spills. but after all this use it has started to fade or come up cause I'm seeing the white paint underneath. I might try getting another can and doing another coat. All in all it is prety good , keeps my quad from comeing through the rear window again. :rotfl:

·
Registered
474 Posts
i went to the drags down in gainsville fl and Herculiner had a display there. the liner was peeling off their display bed. so i had the rhino liner sprayed in. i love it, life time warranty and also covered by your insurance if somebody a$$-ends you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i just finished putting this stuff on 2 days ago. i took out the plastic liner. my truck is only a year old so there wasnt too much prep work. the hardest part is masking off areas. i put it over the rail for the extra protection. i am pretty surprised the way it came out, very nice, straight as an arrow, im still going to get some bed rail caps for it.. i wanted to put it on pretty thick so i bought an extra quart and i used it all up,(i have a short bed), i'll post some pics once i get my hands on a camera. its gonna get a pretty good workout next week, were going to be needing a lot of big flat rocks. i'll let you know how it holds up.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What kind of business did they expect to get if their display is a piece of crap???

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
I'm guessing all it took was 1 gallon for a short bed. how many coats were you able to do with that? About a year ago, Sam's Club had Herculiner kits for sale, and i'm soo mad that I didn't pick one up, mainly because it was such a good deal, it was a big bonus kit, it had a one gallon, plus an extra quart, and all the stuff you need, roller, tape, gloves. all kinds of crap. and it was like $70. they dont have it anymore though. :(: oh well, i'm still thinking about doing mine, I also ditched my drop in liner, and it wore it down to bare metal in several places

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
How does this stuff go on? Is it like road tar? I got some stuff many yrs ago to apply to my jeep. When I pried the top off (was in a 1 gal paint can style can) what I saw looked like rubber snot. About the same consistancy too! I was supposed to apply this stuff with a paint brush? Don't think so. A hand shovel would have been dificult gettin this stuff out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts