Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the 5th day of installing my 6" lift kit. I decided to make a couple of side projects while I was at it like rebuilding the entire front axle (brakes, axle shafts, seals, ball joints, u-joints, etc...) painted it all and it looks real nice.

But now I'm concerned. I put the axle back into night and mounted the front springs. Anyways I was looking at how the front driveshaft hooks up, and I'm wondering if it'll be long enough to still work. I got everything National Tire and Wheel said I needed (brake lines, pitman arm, etc..). ANyone know what I'm talkin about and if it'll work? Or will I need I need to get somethin to extend the driveshaft.

Thanks guys,

-Chris

·
Registered
502 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong on this but I thought that a good rule of thumb was that anything over about 4 or 5 inches really should have new drive shafts.

I am sure a lot of that has to do with the truck and its running gear but it wouldnt suprize me if you need both front and rear shafts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured out why it didn't look right. NTW had my springs labeled wrong. I called Skyjacker to ask them why it looked wrong and its because I installed what I thought was the front spring, turns out it was the rear spring and I had the wedge facing the wrong way. I've removed both rear springs from the front and installed the correct front springs. Everything lined up perfect, driveshaft fits nicely and everything.

Now I'm workin on the rear springs. Has anyone else done a lift kit to the older W-150's? I'm having a hard time getting the front bolt out from the rear springs. I've already dropped my gas tank so that I could access the notch in the frame, but can't get the right sized socket on the head. I'm not worried about savin the bolt because I have new Grade 8 bolts to replace them. I've tried cutting them with a air cut-off tool and that worked great except it can't get in deep enough to cut all the way thru. I'm about 3/4 the way thru right now, and I'm rather stuck cause I'm all out of ideas.

Thanks guys,

-Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of guys from work came over tonight and we brainstormed a way to get the springs out. It worked, well almost. It got dark so we stopped for the night, but got the drivers side rear leaf 90% out, just a little more grinding tommorow and it'll be out. Then we'll just repeat on the drivers side tommorow, should have the truck back together in a day or so. I'll be SOO glad when its all said and done.

Thanks all

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the rear leaf's off yesterday afternoon (tues). Gonna install everything this mornin and mount my tires at work (Sears Auto) today.

Later all,

-Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts