Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 GMC Sonoma 4 wheel drive with a 4.3 vortec.....I've had issues on and off with a chugging problem but it only happens once in a while.....but this morning on my way to work my truck was running quiet well. I took my exit off the high way and drove about a mile down the rd. Took a turn down the road my office is on and my truck made a pop sound...i'm trying to drive up a hill and it pops again and i lost all oil pressure and have no gas when i push the gas pedal down. I still had power....radio on, heater working, but my truck wasn't going to go anywhere. I stopped and looked under the front and back of my truck and there was nothing leaking out...looked under the hood and nothing seemed to be leaking there either...It wasn't over heated either. I let it sit for a minute...I go to start it again and it started for a quick second then died right away.....I need help, I have no idea what it is and I can not afford to take it to a shop. So I have to get some ideas....i am wondering if it is something to do with the fuel pump. The fuel pump is only about 2 years old though and was bought brand new. But the chugging problem i said i had from time to time started after the fuel pump was changed out. PLEASE HELP!! I have one vehicle and 2 girls to provide for. So i need solutions to this problem ASAP. Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
what did the "pop" sound like? was it in the exhaust like a backfire or was it metallic from the engine bay?

did the engine keep running when you lost oil pressure? once it it cold, check the oil for water contamination and the water for oil contamination.

chugging could be from a lack of fuel or fuel pressure, getting air in the fuel lines, clogged converter, bad torque converter/trans not putting the power to the ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not 100% sure where it came from....when i tried to start it back up it popped again and it seemed like it came from the front. it turns over and wants to start then its just nothing. After the pop i lost oil pressure and i had no gas.....i put the pedal to the ground to try and make it up the hill but there was no power going to it. No I don't believe the engine kept running after losing oil pressure....i thought it was but when i got out of the truck to see if there was any fluid coming from anywhere underneath or under the hood is when i realized that it was not running any more

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Oil and coolant clean or contaminated? Does it crank? But I'd recommend not cranking it much if you lost oil pressure. It could be a major internal failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts