Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got my clutch in and when i lowered it and tryed to start it. well... it doesnt start. anyone have any idea what the hell is going on here. is there a sensor i forgot to plug back in that would make it not run. its not even trying to start like it has no gas. all i can say is after a week and a half of not having my truck. im ready to kill something. someone help! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
If it just cranks over and does not start, I'd check the crank sensor. It's on the passenser side between the bellhousing and the block, check to make sure the wires are pinched and is not busted.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
If it won't turn at all, there's a sensor on the master cylinder itself. I don't know if you messed with it or not, but it will cause the truck not to crank. It's just a small "T" type connector that plugs in right by the steering column under the dash.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone have a pic or can tell me what the crank sensor looks like? I think that might be my problem.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'll go take a pic, my engine is out of the truck right now.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The bracket that holds the sensor bolts to the block right behind the passenger side head and the sensor sets here in the bellhousing.

[img=500x375]http://www.wb8xx.com/ram/engine/cranksensor.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot kevin, i think thats my problem. does that just sit in there or am i going to have to pull the hole trans back off to fix it?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
On 2005-11-20 12:27, Tani1500 wrote:
thanks alot kevin, i think thats my problem. does that just sit in there or am i going to have to pull the hole trans back off to fix it?

No you don't have to pull the tranny. There are 2 bolts that hold the bracket for the sensor on the block and then the sensor just slides out of the cutout in the picture.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does it have to be alined or something or does it just pop into place and then it will run?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
On 2005-11-20 14:56, Tani1500 wrote:
does it have to be alined or something or does it just pop into place and then it will run?

No adjustment on it, just pop it in and bolt it down. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok. it was the crank sensor. It got broken off. ( i wondered what that snap was when my dad pride the trans off the motor. and he said he has everything disconected. :twak: ) i tryed glueing it with some 2 ton epoxy. I had it running for about 3 mins, ran in side and then came back out and it was off. ( Now im going what the {expletive} ) i dont know if the glue wasnt dry enough or what but it snapped right off again. I think im going to try it tomorrow again if any of you think that will hold it. I hope i dont have to buy another one. does anyone know where the wire goes to though. it looks to me like it goes up into the ingintion ( that would make sense but i cant see it.)
is it hard to unplug and get a new one. help!! :wall:

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Get a new one...If not, It will fail on you at some other time!

Rick

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
On 2005-11-20 19:27, Tani1500 wrote:
ok. it was the crank sensor. It got broken off. ( i wondered what that snap was when my dad pride the trans off the motor. and he said he has everything disconected. :twak: ) i tryed glueing it with some 2 ton epoxy. I had it running for about 3 mins, ran in side and then came back out and it was off. ( Now im going what the {expletive} ) i dont know if the glue wasnt dry enough or what but it snapped right off again. I think im going to try it tomorrow again if any of you think that will hold it. I hope i dont have to buy another one. does anyone know where the wire goes to though. it looks to me like it goes up into the ingintion ( that would make sense but i cant see it.)
is it hard to unplug and get a new one. help!! :wall:

The plug that the sensor goes to is coming from the main engine harness right next to the driver side fuel rail. The wire cuts across the back of the motor to the sensor. It is a pain to see so you usually just have to crawl up there and feel it out. Also I believe that when I priced that sensor it was about $70.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so it just will unplug then right?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
On 2005-11-20 19:35, Tani1500 wrote:
so it just will unplug then right?

It doesnt unplug at the sensor. THe sensor has two wires coming off of it and they go towards the driver side valve cover. THe plug should be right behind the distributor cap.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool thanks. i just hope that theres a dealer around here that has it so i dont have to wait 3 days for them to ship it in. :x:

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
On 2005-11-20 19:38, Tani1500 wrote:
cool thanks. i just hope that theres a dealer around here that has it so i dont have to wait 3 days for them to ship it in. :x:

auto zone should carry it. That is where I got mine from for the 97'.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i hope so but i just looked it up online and it said its a not in stock anywhere

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Auto zone here sucks. Try napa i always call the part store 10 mins away that is the size of my garage and they always have what i need

1 - 20 of 21 Posts