Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what would cause all my lights to come on on the console (Brake,ABS,Seatbelt and now the check engine)the truck seems to be running fine no perrformance issues. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Have you drove through deep water? or anything like that?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Sounds dumb, but disconnect your battery for 5-10 min and then hook it back up and see if it all comes back or not... had this happen with my dakota ('94) never came back after I drained the battery once... hehe

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
it might not even hurt to try the dash test. if i remember correctly, turn the key to the on position and press in the trip odometer button and hold it for like 20 seconds. the dash will go through its own little diagnostic test thing. you can probaly find the procedure on the dodgeram.org site.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New question,now my speedo just stopped working I heard a sligkt clicking noise right before it went dead..Trying the battery trick as I write it is sitting

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had the same problem with my ram. It may be the abs speed sensor located on the rear end housing it's only a $30 part at the dealer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you want to try a self check on the computer turn the key on, off, on,off on Watch the check eng. light, it will bilnk a series of 3 digit codes, pausing between each # ex. blink blink pause blink blink pause would be code 22. if you get a chilton manual there is a section with the code in it. If you don't have one let me know and I can look them up for you.

-Pete

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seemed to work the light went off when I disconnectec the battery..Would the speedo going off be the same problem it also started working again but I didnt think they were connected to the computer. Also anybody know why it would happen in the first place..Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yea, everything goes to the computer these days. That why so many people get caught turning back speeds, some computers store the milage.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK here are the results so far I disconnected the battery and everything seemed to go back to normal and then when I went back out later to drive it the lights came back on just ABS and brake this time and the speedo was dead then after coming out of the store to go home they were off and the speedo was working again. This is how it has been going the last week they work every now and then..Any other suggestions before I take it to the shop.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Its probably goingto be ABS related like mentioned previously. If you have RWAL only (not 4wheel ABS) then the vehcile speed sensor is on the pinion area of the rear diff.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They told me today that it was the speed sensor. Has anyone ever changed one of these out and how dificult is it to do. Also if I dont do it right away can it hurt anything else.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
When that happened to my ram it caused the engine to stall everytime I came to a stop. I waited a while to get it fixed. Turns out if the if a sensor is not working the computer goes into default mode. When I did get it fixed there turned out to be more than just the abs sensor that was bad. That is the reason I don't have the ram anymore. It was going to cost alot of money to fix so I traded it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep Trying! My 1994 Dodge this happened aswell it took atlest six "Hard rebots" over two months to cure the problem. and yes I went through the entire Braking system! I also cleasned up sum of the electrical conectors in the ABS system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts