1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 3/4 ton V10 4x4
SJ D25 coils w/ bilstein shocks
65K miles

When driving down a dirt road under 25 mph, every pothole I hit my truck clunks. It almost feels like it's directly under my gas pedal. When it does this the axle almost feels like its moving left to right while the rest of the vehicle is staying straight. LCA's are stock with stock bushings. Track bar is stock too.

The shocks are loose, and it did this when I was running stock shocks and D25 coils. Went to the Bilstein because the stockers were shot (and too short) and it still does it.

Where do I start? Also, driving down the highway the truck will kind of do the same thing. It almost feels like the trackbar may be too short but I'm only lifted 2.5"......help!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"LCA's are stock with stock bushings. " <---

you feel it pretty good through the floor board ?

id say its the control arm bushings, on the drivers side. could be both upper and lower.

id do all 8 bushings at the same time.
upper lower, driver passenger sides.

·
Registered
896 Posts
this has been covered a million times (well, maybe not a million... maybe a thousand... alot). start with a search of course. i have a '98 2500 and i've had clunking because of the control arms... i replaced w/ poly bushings, they work great. i had clunking because of my stock track bar... replaced that 3 times then sucked it up and got a Thuren. that fixed it (and i can't say enough nice things about Don's work... i highly recomend getting one). and my latest saga of clunking was fixed when i tightened the bolt on top of my steering gear. i also replaced the stock intermediate shaft w/ a borgeson and that cleaned up the remaining clunkage. as you can see it can be a bunch of stuff.
Oh, i just thought of the shock bolts... the factory bolts are sometimes a little smaller than the sleeves on aftermarket shocks, so it may just be a matter of getting wider bolts and cranking the sh** out of them

·
Registered
622 Posts
Whered ya get the poly control arm bushings??

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Energy Suspesion makes them for our trucks. If I remember correctly, they are part number 5.7111

Search their website and then order them from Summit Racing.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2005-12-12 13:06, robike wrote:
i have a '98 2500 and i've had clunking because of the control arms... i replaced w/ poly bushings, they work great.

How hard was it to get the stock bushings out of the control arms?

Did you replace the bushings on the upper and lower control arms, on both the passenger and driver side?

How many miles were on the stock bushings when you did this?

Any tips or tricks to help speed up the job?

·
Registered
896 Posts
i'm pretty sure that i got my poly's from suspensionconnection.com. getting the factory bushings out sucked... just choppy, choppy w/ a sawzall and replace all 4 uppers and all 4 lowers at once. remember to grease up the pollys w/ grease or antiseize while your doin it or youll do it later when the squeaks drive you crazy.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
this might be just how i do things for myself but maybe not
for the amount of time and money it will take you to put new control arm bushings in your stock arms, why not just replace them with new arms that already have the bushings from skyjacker or whoever you want to get them from
i figure a new set of arms might cost a little more, but the time and frustration saved is well worth the difference maybe?
thats just me though
-Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts