Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We dissasembeld the axle today. Once everything was apart we tried to take the carrier out because the side gears were too hard to take out first. However the carrier is held up on something. We took the pinion bolt out, the pinion seal, the pinion bearing and still nothing. This is a chrysler 9.25 rearend with a LSD. Any help please!!!!!!!!

I think the side gears are catching on the housing.
96 Ram 5.2L V8 4" trailmaster suspension lift, Flowmaster Dual exhaust, 36" swamper radials on 16x8 US wheels, 4.56 Gears, Grizzly rollbar with 2 KC daylighters, Mopar perfromance computer, [email protected] cold air intake, bed mounted spare tire carrier with a full

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this your first gear swap ona a 9.25? I'm not sure if it like doing a swap on the Dana's. I'm about to do this very same thing in the very near future. Gear swap front and back to 4.56.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
if you look just outside of the bearing there is a threaded piece that works as a shim. you have to back them off.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my firts swap on a 9.25, i'm also swapping in 4.56's. Hey dgeram4x I think your right about that threaded shim. That bearing your talking about, its not the pinion bearing is it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Take a scribe and mark were the shim is before you spin it, also count how many time it goes around. If you look you should see some hole where you can get a punch in there to spin it. Make sure the carrier is braced so it doesn't just fall out. when you put it back together DON'T overtighten the srews on the bearing cap, they break real easy. trust me it sucks to get them out.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm not sure, but I was told that in the Chrysler 9.25, there is a C-Clip??? Not sure if you already knew this??? Otherwise, I have no idea??? :dunno: Good Luck! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we already took care of the c-clips, thanks tunis. One thing we will be careful about is that we don't mix up the shims as to which side they go on.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not worried about overtightening the cap bolts cause we have a computer program that tells us all the torque specs that we need.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'll definitely let you guys know how I like the gears and how hard/easy it was to install them. Well a friend sent me this link and it turns out that the problem was the threaded adjuster as this link will show http://www.offroadexchange.com/detroitlocker.htm

It is about installing a detroit locker but it shows a good pic of how to take the carrier out. I'll try it out tommorow, i'm pretty sure this is the solution.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check this site out outlaw...
http://www.differentials.com/faqi.html
Maybe it will help you. What I have to say is not going to help you get it out but help you get it back in. after the gears are put in and all the goodies are set up properly (backlash, depth etc... you will be ready to install the cross pin shaft and bolt, in order to get the shaft past the new and thicker ring gear you will have to machine a flat spot down the length of the shaft so it will slide past the thicker ring gear. We were stumped for a seconfd or two till we called the tech at 4wheel parts wholesalers then the teck at west coast differential for a second o-pinion( get it o-pinion...haha) and he agreed that that was the way to handle it. Hope this helps you.
-Mark-

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh yea and bignblue the only way you could beat a 4.56 gear swap is with a bigger gear set. If I had done only one thing to my truck it would have the 4.56 gears. I haved loved them since the day I got them. You just cant go wrong with the added pull power, I have 285's on now and I can pull my 19ft bass boat in overdrive and not drop out of overdrive except when I have to go up a steep hill and then I just take it out of overdrive before it shifts itself down. I have an automatic with the 360 and 4.56 gears.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you're right unclemark, I was told that I would need to do some grinding, thanks for the info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts