Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my headlight switch out to turn them on and the whole rod came out. I put it back in and the head lights turn on but now the fog lights wont work, the dash lights wont turn on, and my reverse lights and running lights arent going on. So the turn signals, brake lights, and headlights are still working.

Any ideas? Ive checked all the fuses and they are all good.

'98 1500

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I have tried 3 different switches now and still nothing.

I was foolin around with it today and when I pull the rod out and have it in between where the headlights go on and the fog lights go on everything works fine...

·
Registered
74 Posts
the same thing happened to me in my 98, one morning it just pulled straight out of there! but i put it back in and had no other problems with other lights? and just recently the switch went out completely, replaced it and it worked fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still having this problem. I'll reiterate what I said again....

Started when the headlight knob pulled all the way out.
Replaced assembly 3 different times
Only headlights turn on when the switch is pulled out and no running lights, fog, parking, dash, brake or reverse lights but turn signals still work.

I can get the dash lights to turn on and all the other lights to work if I move the headlight switch into the middle of where I would have it to just run the fog lights and to have the headlights on but of course the headlights wont work after this.

This is hard to put in words for some reason so if you dont understand what I mean I can make a video.

Its getting really obnoxious not being able to drive at night anymore without getting pulled over...

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
I've had the knob pull out multiple times, but it always went back in and everything worked afterwards. I know you said you've changed the switch, how about the knob, could it be damaged in some way?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive pulled another knob from 2 other trucks and tried them in my truck and it didnt make a difference :wall:

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
sorry to here that. Mine is the sport model, so the lighting system is slightly different. Have you played with the dimmer switch or multi-function switch in the column?

Here's the complaint, it's a TSB...hope it helps!

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/08-13-98.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still having this problem. I'll reiterate what I said again....

Started when the headlight knob pulled all the way out.

Replaced assembly 3 different times

Only headlights turn on when the switch is pulled out and no running lights, fog, parking, dash, brake or reverse lights but turn signals still work.

I can get the dash lights to turn on and all the other lights to work if I move the headlight switch into the middle of where I would have it to just run the fog lights and to have the headlights on but of course the headlights wont work after this.

This is hard to put in words for some reason so if you dont understand what I mean I can make a video.

Its getting really obnoxious not being able to drive at night anymore without getting pulled over...
I know this is an old post but I’m hopeing you will still see this...I just bought a 1998 Dodge Ram. The dash lights were not working and the seller gave me a new light switch just like in your picture. So I replaced the switch and now I have the same problem you are describing. Did you find a fix for this problem. I can’t get it inspected and tagged until I solve this. Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts