Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, work brought people down. It ended up being myself in my Ranger, and my brother in his CRV. The others that had originally planned to come got gunned down by their work schedules. We went through some smaller trails back in Stop 1, and almost killed the CRV from the start. I was leading through the trail [knowing it] and came up to a short mud-run that is normally about 6" deep. I was going maybe 10-15 and my front passenger tire just dips into it, a good foot maybe a foot and a half down. I pull through, but when my back tire hits it, I throw mud everywhere, including onto the CRV that's waiting behind me to make the same pass. We got lots of looks from some of the people out fishing near the entrance to Stop 1, I guess none of the local 'necks had seen a CRV soaked with mud before, it was great. We splashed around in those trails for a little while, but after a bit got bored of the small mud and all. We went out to a nice crater-dune. We ended up doing some runs up and down a nice hill there, which was a little bit of trouble at first, because the ruts in it were really deep. Played around with putting the CRV and Ranger on 3 wheels. It was sick, the CRV stock suspensiono and those little mall-wheels would lift pretty damn easily, at one point we must've had the tire up a good foot. Ended up getting the truck [lightly] stuck in one spot of the dune. Going up a hill I gunned it trying to just spray around and screw around... Thanks to not having Limited Slip or 4wd I got driver side rear tire stuck. After about 5 minutes of trying to dig it [it wasn't deep, but there was no traction at all on the sugar sand] we just hooked up the cables and had the crv pull it forward the 4" it need to clear the hole and get on the rough stuff again.

All in all it was a fun little outing, but it was exactly that - little... Sometime this week we're going to go explore some of the bigger trails out at Haulover when we get a lot more time so we can go nice and slow and go through all the routes. Some pictures are up here: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=771350&uid=169396 [note, for whoever was looking for some independent suspension pictures, it's not the best example, but notice how the back of the CRV flexes as opposed to the back of the Ranger. It's not IFS, but the CRV is independent in the rear...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts