Featured Hand built H1 Hummer

Discussion in 'Vehicle Build-Ups' started by ottenbuilt, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ottenbuilt

ottenbuilt Well-Known Member

I was having issues with disconnecting the AC lines. After spending 3 hours on the connections I finally got them disconnected. I still need to pull the dash again and see if the HVAC unit pulls out now. The other projects have been nagging me as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ottenbuilt

I picked up some newer style jeep mirrors from eBay
    [​IMG]

JasonB and Austin like this.

3. ottenbuilt

It was quite a battle but I finally got the HVAC unit pulled out of the dodge.
    I started to mock things up in the Humvee... this is going to be interesting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Is this going to be street legal when you have it finished?

5. ottenbuilt

Yes it will. Being that I am starting with an insured registered vehicle and swapping the body it will be registered as a SPCNS ( Specially Constructed Vehicle). It will be required to be smogged as the year of doaner chassis and drivetrain.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

With that rule if I had say a frame off a 1965 pickup and registered it.. then would I be subject to the 1965 rules?

7. ottenbuilt

I dont know differences from state to state. I beleive it would also need a motor with matching numbers (to the frame) Emissions wise in California yes.

8. ottenbuilt

I finally picked up a Dually rear axle to match the front. A 2013 AAM 11.5 axle 4.10 gears. The only issue it has is one hub wont turn (i have a feeling the E-brake is just locked up). The other thing is it is an open diff so a limited slip is definitely in order at some point. Even as wide as this thing is, its still 3" narrower than the front. I figure i will just add a 1/2" spacer to each side and live with it. Now I get to buy yet another specialty socket to pull the hubs...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ottenbuilt

I contacted 4wheel parts about installing a locker. They quoted me $1500 to install one of their G2 Limited slip units (price includes locker). I have never set up gears before and don't want to mess this up. Is G2 a decent brand? the Detroit is only like $50 more. Or I could drop in a Lunch box locker for around $500 and not have to mess with the gears. The other and most expensive option would be to drop in a real locker something like an Eaton E-locker. Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Well-Known Member

no recommendations for you but i have detroits front and rear and love them. but my truck is not a DD... and in 2004 when I put my detroit in, I didnt mesh the gears right and never did gears... well truck has 500ish miles on it since 2004... and this year NJ made my truck emissions exempt so been driving it more and i blew up the 14bolt... so now going to do it right.. hah...
    enough youtube videos to do it right...

ottenbuilt likes this.
  11. ottenbuilt

Thanks @RootBreaker I have decided to go with the ARB air locker. I drive in the snow a dozen times a year. I can leave the ARB unlocked when driving in icy conditions and can enjoy stable acceleration in turns and the such. (The limited slip on one of my old doges loved to engage in corners...). I will be able to have it solidly locked when im screwing around in the dirt. Plus it gives me an excuse to have on board air.

12. ottenbuilt

Im not dead, just very busy. I recently bought a place in Oregon. I now have a shop. This should allow my build to actually start taking form. I recently bought a trailer, put new tires on it and had a buddy help me rebuild the front of it. After I repack the wheel bearings i will transport all of the humvee parts from the old place to the new one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]