Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not a real good idea, the old chevy's you could but i think yours would need a lot of grinding, not a little.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ya that does not sound like a good way to do that. you need 16inch rims if thats the case. i think anyone that does that take a huge liyablity in gringing down brake calipers. they are that way for a reason. get differnt rims man dont do it. thats my $75.00/hr answer to that. i am a mechanic and i would not even think of doin that. you dont screw with brakes ... its a safty issue.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
15x10 Steel rims should fit, or some forged rims that have a larger inner diameter.

Justin, what are your thoughts on disabling RWAL on a Ram? Bad idea, bad idea, or just so-so bad idea? It's not required safety equipment, is it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
246 Posts
i would say diableing any brake safty equipment would me a bad idia. it just brings up a lot of satfy issues. if you ever get into a bad accedent and they check out your truck and find that disabled they bad find you at falt do to neglejence (bad spelling). brake are something as a mechanic i take very souriosly and dont recomend that you change unless upgradeding to big rotors and calipers and even then you could be walkin a fine line.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The problem is that I can disable RWAL, take you for a drive, and "panic stop" the truck, and show you a MUCH shorter stop on dry pavement.

The RWAL claims it has an "isolation" valve so that you don't lose front braking power, but if you hit a bump during hard braking, and the back-end hops, you lock the rears. That's just the way trucks are. But RWAL suddenly thinks you're on ice, and panics, and dumps brake-pressure.

I once panic-stopped when a light changed in the middle of me accelerating, and when the system kicked in I went from a hard, controlled deceleration to rolling half-way into the intersection. No front brake pressure at all...

I've pulled the RWAL module and managed to get the fronts into impending lockup, but never with it active, the backs lock first, and then what it does for the rear axle completely screws over the pressure on the front brakes.

In my mind, it's a piece of safety equipment that shouldn't have been, like the first generation air-bags.

I know of a number of rams that couldn't stop in time for an accident once the RWAL system kicked in where another 5 feet or so of stopping distance would have avoided it. And how much does the rear really help, anyways? Too little weight back there. Especially with my bumper up front...

·
Registered
213 Posts
OK heres one for ya. When I panic stop there is a hard & loud bang at first I thought it was missing teeth in the rear, but I pulled the cover and all was ok. Its from the back end. Check the driveshaft and its good too. Could this be due to the RWAL ??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup You only have to skim the top of the caliper a little to get them to fit! You also can not balance the tires with the sticky weights on the inside unless they go to the inside of the rim because they will hit the caliper, You can balance them on the outside or inside edge!

Ray

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
On 2002-02-21 20:31, Tweaked wrote:
OK heres one for ya. When I panic stop there is a hard & loud bang at first I thought it was missing teeth in the rear, but I pulled the cover and all was ok. Its from the back end. Check the driveshaft and its good too. Could this be due to the RWAL ??

That would be one of RWAL's ways of kicking in. That bang is from the sudden release/re-engaging of the system, and the shock it sends up through the rest of the truck/drively. Good thing is that those are the "good" stops, where you still have breaking power...

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
another way you know the RWAL is working is when you hit the brakes, you hear a funky grinding like electrical noise and you start to slide.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
grinding down the calipers doesnt leave much room in between the wheels and calipers. like it was mentioned, you cant use teh stick on balance weights. just think if you got a rock up in there. i have, and i have like a 1/2" clearence between mine. i wanna go bigger wheels just so i have more room in between. besides theres no really good reason to run 15's anymore. 16's are just as common, and not too much more expensive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did it cause I like 15" Rims the tires are cheaper and you get more tire and less rim thus making the tire look bigger, I like that look! Just my .02

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts