Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 F150 with a rebuilt mazda 5spd 113k on the orig, and now after 3k miles on the rebuilt i'm getting a grinding into 3rd, i hope it's not a bad synchro, in a $1500 rebuilt tranny. Anything eles it could be? Anyone else have problems with these trannys

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Everyone is gonna make fun of the tranny because you said it was a Mazda, well before they start, That tranny is a tough one, I beat on my 88 f-150 with that same Mazda tranny for 4 years, 2-1/2 years of which had the 38.5 swampers on it. Since they are so easy to pull, why dont you yank it out and have different tranny guy take a look at it.
Did the rebuild come with a good warrenty or just a mailbox warrenty? And too answer your question, maybe a synchro or a screwed up fork???

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting really aggravated it, the tranny only has a 1000k mile warranty due to it being 4x4, sometimes when i rev the engine before i up shift into 3rd it will go in smooth. Are synchros expensive to fix?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I had a '93 F-150 and when my tranny went out i had the same one put into mine. It did the same thing as yours did, but only after about 500 miles. I was just as pissed as you. I went to the guy i had put it in and b*tched him out for about 15 min. After i found out that they all do that. There really isn't much you can do but rev the engine like you said.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
so now can we start with the mazda jokes? jk. maybe talk to the guy and see if he will offer you some sort of discount on labor to fix it. maybe he knows if its a synchro or not?

·
Registered
45 Posts
First bleed your clutch master cly, they leak and will cause poor shifting.
still no good?
Pull the shifter, that little ball in there gets worn on a lot of mazda trannys, its a simle cheap fix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts