Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about getting a smittybuilt bumper thumper grill guard for my 2001 ram offroad. does anyone know if the tow hooks need to be removed in order for the grillguard to go on. if so, i wont buy it because tow hooks are more important. any info would be great.

(heres a link to the grillguard)
http://www.pickuptruckaccessories.com/Item.asp?catid=264

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had to remove mine in order to get the guard on. I tried to re-drill the holes in one of the hooks to see if I could move it forward to clear but it still wouldnt work.
The problem has to do with the curve in the tow hook and the shape of the guard where it goes under the bumper. If it had a shaper curve then things might fit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I were looking for a grill gaurd ide just go with one an entire front end replacement that has a welded in hitch reciever so you can just hook up a reviever shackel.Or you could get a grill gaurd and just weld those hooks to it. Check out this website they got alot of more heavy duty than that smittybilt stuff but im not real sure about price wise http://www.ranchhand.com

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just want something cheap thats not too bulky so i can put a few light on. i dont want some giant steel bumper.

Bill, did you have that same grillguard on yours, or a similar one?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Do you have any plans for a winch in the future. I have a Warn Trans4mer just the grill guard not the brush guards with the 12000 winch carrier. I'll send you a pic or two if you would like. DDGETHS

·
Registered
502 Posts
My grill guard is Genuine Steel.
I got it as a package from 4 Wheel Parts with the side steps and the tail light guards.

I am leaving them on the truck when I sell or trade it. I plan to get a full bumper for the new truck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, no plans for a winch anytime soon. dont have the money and i dont really need one. some pics of it would be great, my email is in my profile. i might just go with the smittybilt, its cheap, looks decent, i can put a couple lights on it and i'll find someway to put the tow hooks on it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have been told NOT to weld Tow Hooks, The precess of wielding cause metal fatigue, and will fail. More than likely it will fail, just when you need it most, in the middle of Tank Trap. Anyways, it was a Off Roading Mag. that said to always bolt on Tow Hooks.
Just thought I'd relay that info. I can try to find the article if need be. anyways Got Mud?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts