Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added 2" blocks in the rear and will be adding Daystars up front next weekend. This is on top of Skyjacker 3" lift and PA 3" body lift. I'm going to 8" because I hear 14.5" 35or36's will rub on a 96'1500. Here are my questions. I am skimping temporarily on a couple of things in order to save money. 1) I am keeping my front shocks which came with the 3" lift. Skyjacker says to replace the fronts but the rears should be fine (rear has less travel I guess). As I do not really go off road much I am going to try leaving the fronts as is for now. My only concern is that they will not reach after the daystars.
2) Obviously I will not have dual shocks up front. Not expecting two much of a problem there but what do I know.
3) I will also be staying with the lower control arm that came with the 3" kit and leaving the upper arm stock. I am fairly centered right now so I'm thinking I will be OK. 4 new arms would be pretty pricey.
4) The biggie here is my stock gears. I will be going to the Dirt Grip 36x14.5x15 tires. Will I be screwed with these tires and stock gears or will I be able to deal with it for a while untill I can afford new gears?

Once I get the tires on, I will post some pics. I appreciate the advice I have gotten from you guys in the past. Thanx,
Topper

·
Registered
234 Posts
What is the ratio of your stock gears? I am not sure but most guys say 33's is about the larges tire you will want to run with 3.55 gears.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
How are you going to compensate for the trackbar and the pitman arm? Your axle will be pretty off center in the wheel well.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am installing a replacement pitman arm, swaybar relocation brackets, and a tracbar relocation bracket from Rough Country. The tracbar bracket is from their 3" kit but it should do the job considering my 3" skyjacker kit came with no bracket and I am still looking pretty good. As I said I am pretty centered right now and with the installation of these components I feel I will be just fine for 36"x14.5. My main concern right now as I said before is my gear ratio. I am pretty sure I am running 3.55 gears which I belive is stock for my truck which again is a 96' 1500 with a 360.
I am also hoping I am able to have sufficient braking power with the 36" tires. A lot of question marks but That is part of what makes this hobby fun as well as expensive.

Topper

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
it would be alot less expensive and alot less headaches if you just bought the 5" lift kit. as far as saving money right now by not getting the gears right away may be true, but are you sure you want to chance the risk of blowing the tranny? so inturn your $1600 gear would end up costing your $3500 after a gear job and a tranny rebuild. remember the trans has a history for going bad. then there is the issue and safety concern on no having the acceleration to get out of someones way or to enter the highway. fuel economy is another concern. the 2 weeks in between putting my 36"s on and regearing i was only getting 6 mpg, regeared it jumped to about 10-11. your lower control arm will center the axle, but whether or not the upper is going to be long enough to be able to bring the caster back into spec with the lower cam bolt is another story. as far as the front shocks, what you can do is go to pepboys or something like that and they sell shock absorber extensions.
its probaly in your best interest to wait til you get the money to do it right so it doesnt cost you more money in the long run. when i lifted mine, in the course of 3 weeks i put $5000 into the truck to get everything done correctly the first time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am so glad i have an older dodge, cause i lifted mine before 5 inches and nothing was screwed up on the front, the only reason i don't have mine right now is i was still running my 31s because i thought would have enough money. Just some advice wait until you absolutly know you have enough money to do the job right or you will have a good looking truck but wouldn't want to drive it because the front is screwed up in your case, or in my case being afraid your truck is going to tump. But needless to say i got rid of the lift and i am selling it w/ the truck. And does anyone know of anyone selling a dakota in the 2000 to 4000 dollar range?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Listen to Shawn, he hit the nail on the head. If you are going to do something half a** don't do it at all. You save yourself a lot of headaches and $$ by shelling out the cash and doing it right the first time.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No need to get snooty. That is why I am asking questions. The only thing I am really skimping is the gears. I thought that since I have enough torque to roast my 33's that I might be ok for a short time with 36's. I guess I was wrong and I will get the gear job done. I am not wealthy and am trying to do the best I can with what I have.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I apologize, I didn't mean to come off snooty. I have cut corners myself in the past and it has always ended up costing me more. We all have budgets we need to work with and the point is to make the best with what you have and try to get the most for your money. Problem is, as we all know, building trucks gets expensive and so it pays to do it right the first time even if it costs a little more.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear you man. I also have to think about safety as I have to cart my wife and daughter around in this thing. It is a costly hobby but boy is it fun.

Thanx,
Topper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts