Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes its true... after weeks of waiting to find some form of power for my truck I bought a 360 (its a 2bbl, but I thought all 360's backthen came with only 4 bbl's) from the local boneyard and brought it home today. Gonna clean it up and throw it in for now. The engine's got a 30 day warranty on it from the boneyard against it not running/burning oil/cracks/etc... so I'm not gonna mess with it until I get to Phoenix. I don't have the time to risk anything happening to this engine before my move.

I am gonna tear my cam and stuff out of the other engine and keep that for installation after I get to Arizona. I can't WAIT to get out there where its warm. I'm so tired of this cold weather and rain/snow mix stuff.

And no I haven't forgotten about the writeup, but now its gonna include a top end rebuild and engine removal and installation. :wink: Look for it within the next month or so...

Later all,

-Chris

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK does anyone have a flywheel off of a 360? From what I'm being told (I'm still not 100% sure on Mopar products so I'm asking friends who know alot about Mopar) the 360's are externally balanced, where as my 318 was internally. Which would mean that my flywheel while still able to bolt up wouldn't be the right one and could lead to vibration damage.

-Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is true, 360's are externally balanced while the 318's are internally balanced. So the both the harmonic balancer and flywheel/torque converter are unique to the 360. Sorry, I don't have one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good luck in getting one Chris! HAte to have it keep you from Phoenix any longer than necessary! :bigthumb:
:):
LUV24BY

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TRUST!!! ME!!! it won't keep me from Phoenix. The way this place is startin to look, and the better Phoenix is startin to sound I can't WAIT! to get out there. I'll sell the truck and ride my bike out there if anything else happens to the damned thing :wink:

I was talkin with my mom today and she was out putting down grass seed on her yard! IN DECEMBER! (course thats a north east coast boy way of thinking). :): I can't f'in wait to get out there. This cold weather is gonna kill me one way or another.

I'm hopin to get some work done on the truck tommorow if its not really windy (yesterday) or snowing (day before) when I get off work today.

Later all,

-Chris

·
Registered
376 Posts
Chris,
Did you make it to PHX? I live in Mesa, and work in Phx. Lots of neat clubs and LOTS of trails to go on. I'm Joining the Earnhardt sponsored club. Enjoy the weather, and maybe i'll get to meet you someday...I dont see many Dodges so Im sure Ill recognise yours LOL

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not in Phoenix yet :(: I'm moving there towards the end of January. I'll be living in Chandler at first with my mother and her fiance, but will be moving a little closer to 27th and Grand cause thats where I'm attending UTI (auto mechanics school). I can't wait!

Its so cold and miserable here its depressing. I was out to visit my mom in July and had 112 degree days and loved every bit of it. I'll take dry heat over sharp bitter cold anyday!

My truck will be kinda hard to miss... its big and grey with a red stripe around the bottom (for now, gonna paint it once I get out there and get the body a little smoother)

Later all,

-Chris

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to say it there but your nuts :): Cold weather sucks... But to each his own right? I'll suffer thru the 70degree day days during the "winter" while u enjoy yoru15 degree days in the winter. :):

Later,

-Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
snow snow snow!!!!!!!!! i sthe only way to go, i live in buffalo and if you have a tv you porbably heard we got about 4 feet since christmas eve, ive been riding my new snowmobile every day, and the truck is awesome in the snow.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2001-12-28 13:34, bigtruckin wrote:
snow snow snow!!!!!!!!! i sthe only way to go, i live in buffalo and if you have a tv you porbably heard we got about 4 feet since christmas eve, ive been riding my new snowmobile every day, and the truck is awesome in the snow.

ok ok, you dont have to rub it in. im in the burbs of chicago just waiting to use my new 9hp 39" snow thrower and the gas guzzler truck in the snow, when we finally get some.
and just like canyonero, i love the cold. i keep the thermostat in the house around 64 degrees.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YOU ARE ALL NUTS! :): j/k

I can't wait to get outta this cold weather... cause today it snowed and I had to ride my bike home. Kinda sucked... a little cold, a little wet, and very slick. :):

Later guys,

-Chris

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok... Yesterday and today I tore the 318 completely apart :wink: Boy is that block junked. The connecting rod punched 2 rather nice sized holes in the block. It took me better part of an hour to get the crank manevuered just right so I could slide it out. The con. rod was wedged between the crank and the block so I had a hard time removing the crank. Once I got the crank out the piston (well both pieces of it) came out really easy. The con rod and the middle third of the piston came out as one piece, the bottom third of the piston is in chunks that were in the oilpan, and the dome of the piston (with the rings) came out the top of the block after a little "tlc" :):. Gotta love a BFH and a block a wood. I took pics of the block and am keeping the piston and rod so when I get out to AZ I can start my wall of shame (for parts that aren't quite what they're supposed to be anymore) :wink: Donations to the wall will be accepted by all.

I scrubbed the gunk/dirt and stuff off the 360 tonight, removed the engine mounts (the junk yard used a torch to cut them so I have to reuse my mounts), moved the 318 fuel pump over to the 360 because they also mashed the fuel pump while removing the 360. Gonna roll the engine outside tommorow (its on an engine stand) and degrease it really good. Still deciding if I want to paint the block or just throw it in. Its going to be coming out once I get to Arizona for a full rebuild so is it really worth the time/effort now?

I'm going to bed. Wanna get an early start tommorow, hoping to have the 360 installed tommorow so I can road test it the next couple days before I go back to work.

Later all,

-Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts