Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good price for a set of gears....when changing gears..change both front and back?

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you want to use 4WD you should change both front and back. The price for a ring gear and pinion for one axle is usually $150. Some axles you need to buy a new carrier with the gears which is at least another $100. Also gears should be installed by a good mechanic so installation is another cost around $300. I had never done gears before but with a little help I did them myself and saved money on istallation. But I had an expert to consult if I needed to.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I paid $1100 for front and rear 4.56's, which included a ner carrier for the front Dana 44 because it came with 3.55's, new seals, and new rear bearings. I also went back to the same place a year later to have them install the Detroit Locker. I think Jason payed about $1000 + $500 for his locker (no additional labor if they do it at the same time).

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If you have 3.92 and above gears, then you won't need a new carrier. If not, then a new carrier is about $80, give or take. I can get you the whole kit and kaboodle (including carrier) for right around $485, give or take for shipping. Installation is your worry, unless you want to drive down here to Mobile, then I will do it for a minimal fee, say $200 for both axles. Gotta hook up my Ram brothers, right? :wink:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks beast!! i got 4:11 now ....i may take ya up on the deal..gotta do some checking on install so far about $600 for install still looking around

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I CAN GET GEAR SET FOR $403.33 OUTTA GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ramraptor, does that include master install kits and a new carrier? If so, then I got ripped! :): also, what size axles do you have now? You said you have 4.11's right now, unless you have an offroadster, then you must have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck...anyway, let me know...

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, Flowmaster, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i have the off roadster!so wont need carrier....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Count the number of teeth on your ring gear and the number on your pinion gear. Then divide the pinion # into the ring # and you get your ratio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts