Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a set of sliders built up at Arabia's Automotive. A shop in Los Gatos, CA (Silicone Valley), that builds killer jeeps.

Anyways, specs are:

74" long (wheel-well to wheel-well)
5" out from the pinch-weld

Outer bar is 2"x4", 0.25" thick square steel tubing.

Bars back to frame are 2" square steel tubing, again with 0.25 walls.

There will be 3-4 supports going back to the frame, and they will be 1/2" below the pinch-weld under the body. Each support will be welded to the frame. A hanger will be made for the rear-most support, as the frame-rail goes up into the body there.

Estimated weight per side is 100lbs... :):

Estimated strength is enough to drop the truck a few feet onto a rock and not hurt things...

Warrantied for as long as I own the truck.

At the same time he's going to plasma cut a pair of openings into the angled-back bottom face of the Reunel to slip the end of a Hi-Lift Jack into, and I'm picking up a 60" jack.

Total? A lot...

Sliders: ~$650
Holes: not much
Jack: $60 or so

But these will be killer bars.

I'm going in next week for the final measurements, and then a week or so later I'll go by to have him weld them on.

So I won't have them for the next Hollister trip, but probably will the trip after that.

Gotta love tax refunds!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Everything sounds great, except im not a fan of welding anything to the frame, cant they be bolted to the frame??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's seen bolts shear with sliders... This guy is a regular on the rubicon and does tank-trap every time he's there... He also goes on big runs with LOTS (100 or so) jeeps on the rubicon, so he's seen a lot of trail-damage.

I asked his opinion, bolts will shear, welds won't.

These will probably strengthen my frame, too. As long as they are.

Only issue could be actually twisting the frame on a super-nasty that would have been body-damage before.

But he saw a jeep with these fall 3-4' onto a rock, and came out unscathed, so it should take a hell of a hit to worry me. I'm not looking to drive off any 2' ledges any time soon, or crawl as insanely as he does.

But I want sliders that will keep the truck off of pretty much everything.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Aaron,

I would be very interested in a set as well, but my truck is a quad cab, so it would be a bit longer. I wanted to get side steps, but that's all they are good for, but with these, they would serve as a step, jack point, and protection. Let me know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I ended up going to Jeff Arabia. He custom fabs everything. Our converstation kinda went like:

Aaron) Jeff?
Jeff) Yep.

A) Do you do rock sliders?
J) Sure do! How strong do you need?

A) I need to be able to jack the truck up with a Hi-Lift using them
J) No problem! <launches into specs/stories I've related above about them>

..... :):

Only downside with Jeff is keeping up with him, definetly go when well caffinated. But he loves wheeling, and loves building stuff, and from the looks of the stuff around his shop, he does quality work, and uses it, too.

I'll follow-up next week when I get the final quote/measurements done, and then again when they are installed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sounds sweet!!! They will help keep those rice rocket honda's out from under your truck too. I want to see them when done and a price I may be intrested.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sound's kool Woody. I think I saw the raw stock on his floor when I went to pick up my truck. He had a lot of steel stock lying at the foot of his bench!
You are going to do pictures aren't you?

Later...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'd be in for a set too...

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Aaron --

Have Jeff seal them up real well and put a drain plug and NPT fitting in each. Turn them into air tanks!!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll talk to him about other people being interested. I expect that the cost would be a bit more for the extended cabs, as it's at least another foot on each side, and may require a 4th mounting point.

I'll see what I can do.. :):

What do we have 3-4 interested parties? all with quad/extended cabs (aside from me)?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Figured it was time to revive this thread, since I just dropped the truck off at Arabia's.

He's got the bars boxed, but hasn't welded on the supports that run from the bars to the frame.

The bars are 2" tall by 4" wide, and run 74" from just behind the front tire to just forward of the rear tire.

I'll have the truck back tonight, especially as I'm pretty much first up on the list for today's work (other guy showed up late, and lost his slot...)

I'm also getting two holes cut into the bumper (Reunel) to slip a Hi-Lift jack into, so that jacking up the front-end is easier.

I'll see if I can scrounge up a digital camera and take some pics today after I pick up the truck.

Estimate is $700, he expects it to come it at less than that.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I can´t wait to see the pictures of those Bomb Proof Sliders. Don´t forget to post them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts