Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be shopping for a 98-99' Ram 2500 4x4 this summer...my reasons are the axle combination D60-d70 if im correct and a nice size engine. So my Qs are how is the driveline holding up for you guys with 36+ tires? This is going to be a dream build up... figured out what I did wrong with the blazer and want a project where i can do everything right the first time. So if you guys could list the pros/cons (be honest) I would be more than thankful.

Love,

The Newbie

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't know about the 98-99 2500's but my 2002 2500 came with d60 front and d80 rear but it is the H.O. Cummins with the 6-speed

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
my 98 has 60/70 axles. i havent had anyproblem with the design of the truck. only thing thats got me right now, is my motor. but thats cus i dunked it a little too deep in water. :): oh well, time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm on a mailing list with a lot of modified HD rams, many with 35 or larger tires.

I haven't heard of any driveline problems accept pushing the automatic too hard.

Axles are pretty stout, and you can get 35-spline 1.50" dia chromoly axle-shafts if you want to be extra-sure.

·
Registered
472 Posts
autos have the Dana 70 and sticks the Dana 80 in the rears---all have the Dana 60 fronts---no probs that I know of with 35-36" tires---chris

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The only prob with the diesel will be not being able to body lift it, the air induction on the diesel is a real problem. But with a decent lift to the suspension you can run a 36"/37". But I would trade a diesel for my V8 any day.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
for the sake of comparison, lets say that the diesel is a $5k option. it gets about 18 mpg, mine about 12 mpg. we'll also say that the fuel is about the same price right now, at about $1.70 a gallon. in 10k miles, the diesel will use about 555 gallons, which comes to $943.50. in the same miles, the v10 would use 833 gallons, which comes to $1416.10. a difference of $472.60. i wouldnt be driving over 10k miles a year because i do have other vehicles to drive, so at 10k a year, it would take 10.5 years to just make up the difference in price. so yes, the best of both worlds. :):

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
DOH.

·
Registered
535 Posts
HaWiiLuVeR, you do have a good point if you always pay sticker price and never get things on sale. Since Dodge is coming out with the 2003's soon my Dealer told me that the dealers won't get any 2003's until their stock of 2002's is gone therefore most dealers are having huge sales right now. When I was there the 2500 V10 was priced at 30,000 and the 2500 H.O. Cummins was 32,500 all options being the same. This is because Dealers don't stock many V10's. Also another dealer in the valley told me that since the Cummins engine is Dodges big money maker that they always have special financing packages on the Cummins. So with the difference of $2500 and better financing options it might only take you 3 yrs to make up the difference and you get an engine that will typically outlast the truck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
not all manuals have a dana 80 rear. all diesels do regardless of the tranny and all dualies do as well. but i think its different for different years.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
you have a very valid point, but let me also introduce the used market. i personally bought mine used because i didnt wanna pay the depreciation. i got my V10 for $16.5k it blue books at $22k, i i dont know off hand what the diesel would go for but im sure much MUCH more, at least the $5k prob more since i got mine at such a deal. so in my case it could have been more like a $10k difference, which would take more like 20 years. it goes both ways. the fact here is that you shouldnt base a car/truck buying decision on gas milage alone. make sure that the truck is what you want, not the milage. a vehicle is a big investment and should be based on bigger things. if you are buying a truck, its not for the milage anyways, so why are we even worried about that. thats what i have my crotch rocket for :):

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
How many miles is a recomended oil change a diesel?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The 2500's have the Dana 70's stock, and the Dana 80's come with the camper upgrade package, which adds helper overload springs in the rear for camper weight. You can get the Dana 80's with an auto or stick, just need the camper upgrade package option from the factory. A diesel motor is about $4200 as an option, and is worth it in my opinion, if I had to tow all the time that is...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ahhh yes, the V10 vs. Diesel "discussion"... :): Seen this before.

I think it comes down to personal preferences. Lots of considerations to make:

V10 Pros:
  • Torque + revs
  • requires less oil

V10 Negs:
  • Ignition system requires maintanance
  • Poor Mileage (12? more like 10 is the average that I'm aware of, across many vehicles, but YMMV).
  • Poor aftermarket support

Diesel Pros:
  • Torque monster, but no revs
  • Will outlast the truck
  • Easily ($2k) double output, no mileage hit
  • greater mileage
  • greater range
  • No ignition system maintanance

Diesel Negs:
  • Sound (depending on the person)
  • Smell (depending on the person, should be fixed in '04 with new low-sulphur fuel)
  • Eats automatic trannies
  • Oil changes are $$$
  • Coolant is $$$

Then you need to figure out the mileage you're going to be putting on it, and then from that, figure out the service intervals, and from that, figure out the actual cost of operation.

Me, I figure they are about equal, same as the *big* Hemi and cummins in the '03 will be. So it comes down to personal choices.

I've decided I hate engines that ping when they aren't supposed to, and intake gasket problems, and hard-to-improve performance.

So I'm going the "oil-burner" route. But I also plan on using it to tow my current truck... So I'll probably greatly appreciate the extra low-low torque the diesel has over the V10/Hemi.

So, if you're not sure which you like better, go test-drive them. And if you can, find one of each that's been modified to the level you would want to take yours. Might be hard finding a 400+hp, 1000ft-lb BOMBed cummins, or a blown V10, but they're out there, if that's where you want to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok here is what im gonna search for...
Dana 60/80 combo
v10/(manual tranny pref)
one more question what tranny is the best since I have no clue about dodge stuff.

thnx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts