Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i was thinking about getting the generation II for my 360 and i was wondering if there were any comments on rather or not i should get that set up or anohter

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Assuming you mean the K&N GenII intake, then it's a great mod for street-performance, desert running, or trail-running.

However, it's NOT good for mudding in watery mud or for driving through deep water... With the element exposed, and even using the water-resistant jackets on the filters, you risk sucking more water into the engine that with the stock setup.

That's the main reason that I'm thinking about running the Volant intake instead of the GenII.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I haven't had any off road problems with my Gen 2 yet but Woody does make a good point. One thing I do like about it is that [email protected] guarentees an 18hp increase at the engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
they guarantee a minimum flat 18 hp gain? or is that a percentage increase on your vehicles gain? (ie 10% on 180hp = 18 hp so they guarantee 10%)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This is why I won't be putting in the Gen2:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/album/fr02008.mpg

And yes, that's me.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well i can see where your coming from but I've been through plenty of deep mud, and puddles and never had problems with the [email protected]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put in a thottlebody riser. It gives you more low end..and if you get the poweraid air box replacement kit with it it's supposed to give you more than gen II....so the four wheel shop near my house says so. I don't see very many people running that set though, so it could be bull ****.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The way the intake tube sits on the throttle body it would be impossible to add a spacer because its already sandwiched between the throttle body and the firewall. Check my pics in the [email protected] write up and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
A 3" body lift would give you a little more needed clearance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know..you can't add the [email protected] or the airaid intake to the throttlebody spacer. There is different unit that fits with existing air box but eliminates the filter inside and replace it with a cone filter on the side. Like I said I haven't seen this one before until they showed it to me yesterday.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well, I'm running the K&N Gen II AND the throttle body spacer. The only reason I got the spacer was so that I could keep the Gen II after I installed a 3" body lift. I also went through the same pit that Woody went through about 5 or 6 times (the video of it is on Jason's site) and the engine didn't take any water on. I have to admit, I may have done it a little slower than other trucks just for that reason though. I didn't seem to notice any performance gain by using the throttle body spacer but I certainly did notice the Gen II, although I doubt it was worth 18 hp.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ive got a throttle body spacer too, i figure its only worth about 4-6hp. at most, the sound it makes is really annoying too, but you get used to it after awhile though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
does anyone know if the round k&n that sits directly on top of the intake is good or no good. i am running that way right now,and it makes a lot of noise until your off the gas.thanks..chris

·
Registered
969 Posts
You can hear the air being sucked in pretty good in the cab. It works good for me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I first tried the drop in K&N filter for the stock air box, then the 14" round K&N. I didn't notice any gain until I got the Gen II, plus it's a lot quieter.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ramcc4x4,

How muddy did your underhood area get? How much mud/water got onto the K&N filter?

EVERYTHING under my hood has a nice coat of mud. The battery, the top of the airbox, the top of the engine all the way back to the distributor, which just managed to stay dry. The entire underside of the hood is coated as well...

If the filter got coated, but kept the water/mud out, then I just may get the K&N...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts