Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just learned something new today. Gear Vendor. Basically an overdrive unit that bolts to the back of the T/C. I called a number, and spoke to a guy about the product. It'll split all gears in the auto, and provide a "double overdrive" with 46% OD on the flats! 12.5" of driveline will need to be removed, (or in my case, a new one built to length when/if I order it)
It's not cheap, $2695 + $40 UPS, (and tax)
I have a catalog on the way. Anyone running anything like this now?

Later....

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I heard of it, good things btw. I would rather spend $3000 on an Atlas II t-sace or better yet, a Klune V underdrive in 2.7:1 or 4:1.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
ive heard good about these, but in order to split the gears with effectiveness, you need to have really wide spread gears. otherwise you will be shifting too much. these things can handle major power though.

·
Registered
340 Posts
OK, stupid question time.. Why would you want to split your gears even more than they are now.. I understand the AltasII and what it does. But not sure about the thing you were talking about JP.. thanks DDGETHS

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-03-29 08:35, DDGETHS wrote:
OK, stupid question time.. Why would you want to split your gears even more than they are now.. I understand the AltasII and what it does. But not sure about the thing you were talking about JP.. thanks DDGETHS

What the Gear Vendor overdrive does is drop your OD ratio an extra 30-40% so when you are on the flats, you are running a really high final drive ratio (numerially lower) and that greatly improves mileage. I think it also lets you split the gears you have to find the just right ratio for cruising so your tranny do not have to hunt for gears

1 - 5 of 5 Posts