Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally fixed my leaky gear box today. I think just about every Ram I've seen or owned leaks around the piman arm shaft seal. I've been putting it off but it was actually quite easy and it only took about an hour to replace the seals. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the bolts out of the frame and left everything else intact. Then I just let it rest on the sway bar where I could work on it. Worked out good.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
can you post some pics or tell us how you did it? mine also leaks, any info is good info, thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was actually fairly easy, first I removed the pitment arm (youll definitly need a pitment arm puller) then on the top of the gear box there's a plate with 4 bolts and one in the center. Remove the 4 bolts(14mm) don't touch the one in the center. Once you remove the 4 bolts the whole shaft will slide out of the top of the gear box. I took the 3 bolts out of the frame and rested the gear box on my sway bar otherwise the shaft hits the fan shroud before you can get it all the way out. If you have a body lift you may not need to do that. Once the shaft is out you can replace the seals. I got mine from the dealer. There's a couple seals, a washer and a lock ring. Oh yea, don't forget to put a bucket under the steering box when you remove the shaft or you'll have a mess to clean up on your floor.

·
Registered
923 Posts
How about part numbers and prices on those seals. Mine leaks like a siv, I guess dodge didn't plan on 38s being turned by that box. Also, did that completely fix your problem, I am scared that after going to all that trouble I won't get it fixed and it will still leak. I know we expect a lot, but its always appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The part number(Mopar) is 04470365. Mine is a 98, but I'm sure they're all the same. The parts counter guy didn't even ask if it was a 2x4 or 4x4. The seal kit cost about 33.00. It comes with a tube of grease also. Make sure to grease the hell out of the shaft and seals before you put it back together.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks, dude... Mine started leaking shortly after I put the 35's on and it does irritate me. It leaks on my new concrete in the garage so bad that I have been leaving it out in the snow lately. Now maybe I will finally fix it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine had been leaking a while and I put it off for quite some time. But after doing it, it really wasn't that hard of a job. If you can install a lift, you can certainly replace the gear box seals. I don't like any leaks on my truck either. There's nothing worse than a nice looking truck that leaves a spot in the driveway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts