Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess im finally going to do it, I finally got my mom to let me make my truck a 4x4 with 1 tons, so I need to know what all I will need for the swap.

I went yesterday and got my axles, I got a 14 bolt FF out of a 01 suburban with disc brakes for $250, and a D60f out of a 85 chevy 1 ton. They both have 4.10 gears, and the front has warn lockouts and has the spider gears welded, and it also has crossover steering.

I know that I will need a transfercase, springs, and the oru sas kit. Im planning on going through the front axle and putting in new bearings and seals. What else will I need? besides driveshafts.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
make sure you get a transfercase out of a 80's or older solid axle chevy cause the newer t-case's drop on the driverside, you got a passengerside drop front axle, i would also replace the welded spider gears with a locker.

·
Registered
519 Posts
to keep you speedometer working you need a passdrop np241 out of a late 80s early 90s k5 or saburban. and you will need a bumch of little stuff to as you go to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on using a divorced t-case. My truck is a 4x2 now, so should my speed sensor be somewhere on the tranny?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
What kind of truck is it?

If you are going divorced and it is a newer chevy you shouldnt have to mess with the VSS, it is usually on the tailshaft of the tranny.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I sould have clarified. The truck is a 98 chevy 2500 ext cab long bed 4x2. with a 350 and a 4l80e?

I plan on keeping the stock tranny.

I might have a deal working on the T-case, and I plan on getting a genuine suspension kit, probably the 6".

will 8.5" be enough to clear 38's? and which kit should I order from oru? the kit for 88-98 c1500's or the kit for 88-98 4x4 1500,2500, and 3500? The D60 is a chevy so I know i need a kit for the 32.5" spring width.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just went and ordered 37x12.50x16 ssr's, will 8.5" be enough to clear them? Will it be to much? I dont want the fender sitting way above the tire.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Considering a SAS usually give you about 4 inchs off the bat so the 8.5 should be more than enough.....room to flex :bigthumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at a truck yesterday with the oru kit and a set of 6" springs, with 38's and it had alot more clearance than I like. I want my tires to sit in the fender wells a little, So will the oru kit and 4" springs be enough to clear 37's under normal off-roading.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
4 shoudl = abour 7inchs so put in some 1inch zero rate add add a leafs for 8inchs and you should be good

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I hope 6.5-7" will work, because I went ahead and orderend the oru kit and the rough country 4" today. btw when you change to 1 ton u bolts, the price on the lift goes up quite a bit. :shock:

·
Registered
113 Posts
On 2005-12-13 16:33, Kris wrote:
Well, I hope 6.5-7" will work, because I went ahead and orderend the oru kit and the rough country 4" today. btw when you change to 1 ton u bolts, the price on the lift goes up quite a bit. :shock:

yes it does and by the way rough country's won't flex they ride stiffer than shioot and they suck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts