Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96' 2500 has a gas gauge that is crazy. I fill it up to full and drive 200 miles and it goes to 1/4 tank, it should be at more like 3/4's. It then sits at 1/4 tank for the next 300 miles. Has anyone else had this problem? It just started this a couple weeks ago. I think I need a new gauge in the tank which will be a pain to replace.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yeah, I had a problem with my diesel's sending unit in the tank. Know how I found out? Coasted to a stop sign at 1 in the morning. Sent it in to the Dealership (had it towed in) and The mechanic tried to talk to me like I was an idiot, so I gave him a piece of my mind. Hard to know when your out of fuel when your sending unit gets stuck with 1/8 of a tank left. They pulled the bed and replaced the unit.

Nick.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a friend with a 99 1500 with the same problem.. Actually I was visiting him at the time and I was driving.. If I remember right it was the float in the tank. It was getting stuck somehow. I don't think it was the gauge.. DDGETHS

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My fuel gage was acting up, so I replaced the whole thing. $248 now all is new. Fuel pump, sending unit, and filter. (this was 2 yrs ago).
Later...
Troy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yup, My father has a '96 2500 Diesel and sure enough his guage started to go all nuts on him too. Had to get the whole thing replaced and cost him about $300. He wanted to know if a recall came out on it or something as such. I hear lots of people that have had problems with theirs alos.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great another stupid part to replace. It's defintely got problems. I had it on empty tonight, went and filled it up and the gauge stayed on empty. Then it bounced between half and 1/4 full. I'd fix it my self but not sure if the fuel systems going to get screwed up if I take the pump out. It's a diesel so if you run out of gas the fuel system has to be bleed or primed or something. So if I pull the pump is this going to be a problem?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Same here. I get 10 mpg and have a 35 gal tank, so thats 350 miles to a tank. I use 100 miles from full to 3/4 then 100 from 3/4 to 1/4, that means at a 1/4 tank I still have 150 miles left.

YEA THAT MAKES SENCE!!!

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
what was teh milage that you guys started seeing this? im at about 65k and havent noticed a problem yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Everyone's gas guage has that "lag" that says it is full when you have driven 70-100 miles. However the problem here is that it is full, and says it is at a quarter of a tank and then you start driving and it bounces all over the place. My dad's diesel is over 120k miles but he had his go out at around 100k. and that is when the dealership says it usually happens. Now, if it "usually" happens, why don't they fix that, or recall it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because if the dealership fixed the problem in the first place you wouldn't have a reason to bring your truck in to get fixed. They like you having to come in so they can screw you. We'll it isn't going to work this time. I'm fixing this my self.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
On 2002-02-27 00:42, DieselHrs wrote:
Great another stupid part to replace. It's defintely got problems. I had it on empty tonight, went and filled it up and the gauge stayed on empty. Then it bounced between half and 1/4 full. I'd fix it my self but not sure if the fuel systems going to get screwed up if I take the pump out. It's a diesel so if you run out of gas the fuel system has to be bleed or primed or something. So if I pull the pump is this going to be a problem?

Yes you do have to prime the fuel system any time there is a breech in it. I know with mine (a 1999) it has a self priming button. You flip a switch and it opens a valve and you pump until it sucks fuel up to the injector pump (I think the injector pump). I tried that when I ran out of fuel, and some came out, so I didn't think it was that, but it was just what was stuck in the line it sucked out. HOpe that helps.

Nick.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok went to get parts today. I'm not sure exactly what I need. I got a quote on a electric fuel pump set. It's supposed to have everything. It's $250.00!!!! I still have to put it in too. I'm going to see if my neighbor will do it. Does this set sound right?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to pick up my fuel pump set yesterday, I looked at the fuel gauge all it is, is a piece of plastic with a wire and a rubber piece nothing major. So I told them to hold it went to the dealer and bought the fuel gauge only. It cost me like $80 for the gauge and a new tank seal, and they had it in stock so thats not to bad. Now I just need to put it in. I'm going to have to drop the tank. Anyone want to help?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts