Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright right now i have a single in dual out flowmaster 40 series on my truck. i was thinking about putting on headers but i wasnt gonna run a true dual i was just gonna swap em in and still keep all the same pipes. would it be worth the money for the gain i would see??

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
my headers were worth it. i still run the duel in single out cat, on a dodge, and i love it. i intend to go true duel(one day), but this computer crap is limiting me right now. if you have the duel cats i would say go for it, but if you have one cat and one set of o2 sensors i would not recomind messing with that. i have personaly seen two trucks messed up by doing this, but they were post 96 dodges. chevys might be diffrent.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
ive seen a dakota with true duals put on. there was a crossover type pipe(sorta looks like an x)right before the 2 cats. in that pipe he mounted the O2 sensor. and afterward he omitted the second sensor and used the kat box from krc. no problems with the MIL.
ive actually though about doing this also, but use another crossover right after the cats and mount the 2nd O2 sensor in that crossover.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i have seen the 2nd xpipe, but i do not think that is benifitual. (wow) how did the 2nd sensor omit thing go? how long has the guy run it? are there any codes in the computer that are triped? that is what i would like to do, but i am skeptical. if nothing else i will get a HD computer and re do the whole set up

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
And the gain from headers varies by style. Shorties, mid-length, full-length all make a difference in where the gains are seen RPM wise and the collector style also is different. From tri-y to 4-into-1 impact the power gains and where it is at.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was looking at shorty headers. to me it looks like you take the exhaust manifolds put the header on and thats it. no new pipes or anything. just wanna make sure this is right and the gains i will see with out a true dual. im trying to convince my dad its worth it!!

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any suggestions on what brand. looked at borla and was immediatly turned away by the prices. so those are out of the picture but anything else im open to hear what you think

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've got the Flowtech shortys that bolt right to your factory exhaust. I noticed an immediate increase in low end torque when I installed mine. It pulls alot harder out the hole. One of the best noticable performance accessories I installed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I myself bought a pair of flowtechs . They were about $100.I also have the 2 into 1 system and then a 1 into 2 flowmaster . I am goin to make it into a true dual I will post what gains I get .

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i run stainless JBA's and i love them. very low maintnance, good preformance. i recomind them.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya i found flowtechs before but i wasnt to sure about em caue of the price. they're pretty cheap so i was thinking you get what you pay for but if yall say thay are good then ill probably get those. i have friend that said he can powdercoat em for free

·
Registered
441 Posts
A guy at a muffler shop told me that you cant run true duals with 2 catalycts because it wont be street legal anymore if you tamper with the factory catalyct. Plus he said itll take power down because the 360 is made to run on a certain back pressure, and if u change that, ill get worse preformance. Is this true or am I getting fooled...AGAIN! Plus, what do yall have to say about Edelbrocks TES stainless steel ceramic coated ones? Comes with a bigger Y-pipe too, but they are around $425 at Summit (just checked the other day when I was up there, the Rep also said that thats the best headers for the Rams).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
technically, you can't change the configuration of the cat. If you have a single cat, you must keep a single cat in that location, and run all exhaust through it.

If you have duals, then you can run dual cats.

If you have pre-cats + a single big cat, you need to keep all three, which means no full-length headers on 2001+ Ram 1500s. Just shorties.

This is regardless of state, or intended use of the vehicle. It's an EPA law, with like a $100,000 fine attached, but they have to catch you first.

I have heard rumors of the EPA checking up on some of the Bombed diesel guys, from watching the TDR forum, though.

But they couldn't tell stock from aftermarket injectors on a CTD, even when they had different color connectors on them.

I'm of the opinion that if it passes a tail-pipe emissions test, then that's all that they should care about, but... that's me.

this whole CARB certified bit annoys me, I figure it's just more fees in the form of a "certification fee", or kickback from the labs doing the testing for the aftermarket companies.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alright i was lookin at the shorty flowtech headers. for all you guys with the flowtechs are yall running the shortys too?? it says direct bolt on so j/w how hard it was for those of you who put on your own headers. thanks for all the feedback!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts