Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel gauge is acting all weird, when i turn my truck off the fuel gauge doesnt go to E were it normally does and when i turn my truck on it bounces all over the place alittle bit about half tank and a little bellow all while im standing still... ANy ideas? Thanks Josh..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing about a year ago. Now, after i fill up, the gauge goes to E and the light comes on after 60 miles. I just use the odometer to tell my fuel quantity now.
Its something to do with the float in the tank, and isnt really worth getting fixed in my opinion. From what I have heard, it is a common problem in 94-97 Rams.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
96 and mine dances also. usully starts around 1/2 a tank. from the way it acts, i would not say the float is bad. it is to jumpy to be the float. i may be wrong, but from what i can see it is electrical.

96 Dodge Ram 1500 360 w/ auto trans. Extras include JBA headers, Mopar R/T heads, K&N filter, Mopar computer, 35,000 lbs trans cooler, shift kit, 3" Skyjacker sysrem, 4.10 gears detriot locker, and 35X12.50 tires on 15X10 rims.
Soon to come 5" skyjacker, Mopat R/T cam.

By The Way, I Cannot Spell, This Is A Fact That I Am Aware Of! Please Over Look Any Misspellings. Thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
Defintely check the sending unit!

·
Registered
67 Posts
we've talked about this before on here. there are just some faulty guages. Gonna have to be replaced. the dealer is gonna make you pay about $300 for it to get done. But you can do it yourself. someone on here took their bed off (much easier than the other way) and fixed it that way.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
with over 160k miles i will replace the hole fuel pump sice it is original. it is like $160-$170. i would immagine the problem is in there somewhere. if it is not please let me know.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had that problem!! You fill the tank and the gauge bounces to fuel then empty then 1/4 fuel, and stays there. It's the sending unit in the fuel tank. I have a diesel so I had to replace mine, cause I can't afford to run out of fuel. Diesels don't just start right back up like a gaser. My truck is a 96' 2500.

I originaly went and ordered at fuel pump set for like $160. Then I looked at it and decided to go to the Dodge dealer and just order the sending unit. The sending unit was like $80 I also bought a new tank seal, but didn't use it. I desided rather than dropping a heavy 35 gallon tank with diesel fuel I would remove the bed. It was 8 bolts, unplug the tail lights, and unbolted the grounding strap. Then me and my dad tilted the bed up supported it with some 2X4's and I replaced the unit in about 5 minutes. Dropped the bed back down and bolted it back up. Total of about 30 minutes and $80. All fixed. No problems since. If you need more help let me know.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mine at 1/4 tank bounces down to E when I floor it then goes back up when I let go. Is that just because the gas is thrown away from the floater, then goes back when I let off, or is it something else?

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's what it sounds like Rambrdr just from the gas moving in the tank.

Also Dodge fuel guages will drop down up to half a tank(from 1/2 to E) when you go down a hill then up a half a tank (1/2 to F) when you go up a hill. All depending on how steep the hill. So make sure your fuel guage is bouncing on flat ground before you decide replacing it. Bouncing up and down a little is normal while driving . When my guage went out it would bounce while I was still parked at the gas station.

01' Kawasaki ZX-6E Ninja.
91' Quarter Horse, blaze face, bay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts