Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install front and rear lockers on my ram! Im just wondering if I really need to or not! I do occasional 4wheelin', but not a whole lot! I do have a LSD in the rear from the factory. Am I better off at just leaving it as is...or should I get lockers installed? I guess what Im trying to get at is, how bad will the lockers affect the truck on the street???

Also, if I do plan on getting lockers, I want to replace my R&P with 4.56 gears, since they will be in there anyways...or again...should I just leave it as is? I have the 3.91 R&P gears from the factory, so Its not as bad as having the 3.55's....

Any input would greatly be appreciated...
:bigthumb:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab SLT 4X4 SB, 5.2L V8, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 Good~Year MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Racing Sidewinder Wheels, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
tunis,
you DO NOT want to put a locker in the front, unless its an arb. it would be down right dangerous to drive with any other locker on the street. you would have so much understeer you probaly wouldnt make it around the corner without hitting something. if you dont do alot of wheelin dont waste the money then. remember they do wear the tires quicker on the pavement. you said you dont do a lot of wheelin, so it sounds like you dont really need that low of gearing. does your truck see alot of highway miles? if so you wouldnt want 4.56's, thats unless you like going through more gas than you do now and want to wear the engine quicker because its spinning a 4500 rpms at 70 mph.
i run 36"s in mine(i have the 318 auto same as you)with 4.10's and around town it has alot of pep, and on the highway @70 mph its only spinning 2200 rpms, just like it was with the donuts and the 3.55's.
cya
shawn

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
A locker in the front is not that bad on our trucks since we have the CAD that lets the wheel turn at different speeds when disengaged (2WD). The only thing a full time locker will do to the front end is to have the front driveshaft turning 100% of the time causing extra wear on the pinion and t-case bearings. A selectable locker (ARB, OX) will remedy that though. The same geos on any truck that can separate the wheels from the diff (CAD, manual hubs, etc)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2001-12-16 23:42, JasonB wrote:
A locker in the front is not that bad on our trucks since we have the CAD that lets the wheel turn at different speeds when disengaged (2WD). The only thing a full time locker will do to the front end is to have the front driveshaft turning 100% of the time causing extra wear on the pinion and t-case bearings. A selectable locker (ARB, OX) will remedy that though. The same geos on any truck that can separate the wheels from the diff (CAD, manual hubs, etc)

but if you have to drive on the street in 4wd because of snow or ice(like hopefully coming soon in chicago). its going to have alot of understeer because the inside tire is moving at the same speed as the outside tire. unless you have a full time trail rig a front locker is a waste of cash.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I guess I'll hold off! I just want to buy stuff for my truck, that's all...stuff that I don't really need, just want! :D: I'm sure you all know how that is, right? It's all eye candy... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well if you go off road with a front locker you will be shocked at what your truck can do. That stupid open diff in the front sucks when trying to climb stuff cause your rear tires are pretty much pushing your truck, even in 4WD. An ARB locker is worth the money if your gonna off road.

·
Registered
807 Posts
if your only using 4wd off-road or on snowy streets it'll work fine. the tires will be able to spin in the snow and the vehicle will turn ok. if you were using it on dry pavement then forget about it.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Icy streets is where the locker sucks most. Steering will be a major PITA then, but if you don't ever run 4WD in snow/ice, then it isn't a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts