Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I called the local 4x4 shop for an estimate on 4.11s for the ole Dodge. Right. The guys is naming off the parts and their prices , new carrier, bearing kits yada yada then a front disconnect. When I asked him, what is the front disconnect for he had no clue what it was. He said his supplier said that I needed it for my dodge. Anyone have any clue as to what the hell they are talking about. Thanks DDGETHS

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
You need bearings, seals and new front carrier. The disconnect is just the CAD unit that connects the inner and outer passenger side axle shafts when 4WD is engaged. It is NOT replaced or modified when swapping gears or installing traction devices.

If you look at the passenger side axle tube, the thing in the middle with the 2 vacuum lines and electrical connector is the CAD. Inside the cover, a fork is attached to a vacuum diaphragm that moves a collar from the out shaft over the inner shaft so power can be applied to the passenger side wheel.

The only thing you may need regarding the CAD is a new gasket for the cover since the cover needs to be removed to pull out the CAD collar in order to slide the inner shaft out far enough to pull the gears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts