Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be practical to weld the differential to be a spool? i would think it would be ok since the CAD system disconnects the axles when 4wd is disengaged. this would be cheaper than buying a locker.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Don't know. Here's another question, along those lines. With a locker up front, (any design, detroit, spooled etc.) is the "shift-on-the-fly" affected? When shifting, will/is there any grindning in the axle tube until the axles have meshed? If so, how long will the stock axle components be able to take such abuse? I'm guessing that with an open or LS diff there's some play that allows a"soft" engage.
With a locker up front, won't that engage be Hard?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I would think tha tit would be easier actually since the passenger side inner shaft is turning at the same speed as the driver side and thus the carrier/locker and since you should be shifting into 4wd wheil pointing straight the tires would be rolling at the same speed and thus the inner and outer shafts on the passenger side should make it easy to engage the CAD (or the complete opposite where the shafts are the same speed but never line up the splines for the CAD ring to engage)

The only problem I see with a front locker is the extra wear and tear on the front driveshaft and t-case turning without really slinging any oil in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts