Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front cv joints (the ones right between the spindle and the axle) on my 97 1/2 ton have seen better days. I had the wheel turned the other day and just grabbing 1 side there is about an eighth inch of play where there should be none. I am going to replace them both even though one is worse than the other. I was just wondering if anyone out there had replaced these on their truck and had any tips to give. I am pretty sure I will have to pull each axle all the way out. Good because I can then change the joints on a bench instead of on the truck. Bad because getting the wheel bearing out of the spindle is a b****. Did it once before to replace an axle tube seal. Not looking forward to this, but better to replace it now than to break a joint in 2 feet of snow when its zero degrees. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sunday will be a long, profanity filled day.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I have pulled the driver side shaft on my truck 2 times and once on two other trucks. It is not very difficult. The 3 bolts on the back are a PITA just because they are in an odd spot, but not difficult. I was able to just wiggle the bearing assembly out of the knuckle each and every time.

Start spraying penetrating lube on the back side of the bearing assembly to make it easier. Might make it easier by Sunday.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my joints in. NOt quite as hard as I thought it was going to be. I put a new seal in there while I was at it. I'm glad I did it before the snow starts falling, one joint in particular only had about 4 needle bearings that were still there! Thank god one didn't break before that.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
How long did it take? I think I need to replace the seal on the driver side. After mudding on Sat. I saw a little oil leaking out by the joint. Is this an all day job, or after work job? Thanks

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My seal that I replaced was on the passenger's side. It goes in through the axlw disconnect vacuum motor. The one on the driver's side I have no idea about. You may have to remove the diff cover depending on which way it goes. I would consult a driveline shop, repair manual etc. to keep from wasting fluid, gaskets, and bloody knuckles on something you didn't have to remove. Also I think your truck is a 3/4 ton which means you have a Dana 60 and I have a Dana 44. I have no idea how these compare in design. One tip. When trying to remove the wheel bearing from the spindle, be prepared. Jason said he can wiggle the bearing out. He is lot better at wiggling than I am. THis makes the third time I have pulled the bearing and the best way is to use a punch and a BIG hammer to make the bearing turn while it is in the spindle before you even try to pull it out. Mine is a 97 and had never been pulled. It was rusted and sealed with crap. Once you break it loose (it will rotate while inside the spindle) use an axle flange puller, the parts store I work at rents them, to do the actual pulling. The axle puller alone makes this job twice as easy. I would probably wait for a Sunday do this rather than after work. Changing the seal and everything going smoothly you might be able to get it done in 2-3 hours. If it doesn't go smoothly though...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
yeah just a little mudding.
hahaha its ok you can brag about how many vehicles it took to pull us out.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
ya like rawkon said. I got stuck nose down. only way out was back. got my buddy stuck trying to pull me out, had to unhook, then hooked up again, this time with another guy in front of him also. then after quite a few yanks, i started moving backwards. Fun day though. ill have pics in a few days.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is there a certain height spacer that you can't go over so that you don't wreck the CV Joint? I remember when I lifted my Tacoma, I couldn't go over 2.5" of spacer lift so that I wouldn't wreck the CV Joint. Anything over 2.5" would make the CV joint rub together and wear out quicker.

Bob

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm assuming your tacoma had IFS. On solid axles like the ones on dodges the cv joint is held still between the wheel bearing and the axle bearings. Basically lifting the truck has no effect whatsoever on the cv joints. THe only time the cv joints are stressed is when the wheel is turned while in four wheel drive. THat is when the joint is weakest and most prone to breaking. Even that has nothing to do with lifting, more to do with aftermarket lockers, and tire size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts