Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happens! Was with friend at a run, and he broke the drivers side axle while attempting to pull a mud stuck vehicle. He wasn't heavy on the throttle when it let go either.

Troy

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hey MBsDodge what are you running? Do you like having that LSD in the front?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
A friend of mine broke a u-joint which in turn wasted the stub shaft yoke but he was doing a gnarly hill climb and has a front ARB.

Another friend of mine broke his axle shaft on the drivers side climbing a tiny little hill in the mud. It was an open diff and it still broke at the neck down near the splines.

Never seen a problem with the housings.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I totally agree, I have a mopar performance computer and it was by far the best engine mod I'd ever done (screw a chip). Even with 3.55 gears and 36's I could squeal the tires on take off.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you get too much wheel-spin while climbing a slick clay hill, and the truck shifts it's weight and the spinning tire suddenly has LOTS of traction, the D44 axle-shafts can go "Bang".

That's how both Mark and I blew out our axles (the two friends Jason mentioned). I've got the open, and the truck just shifted a bit, and the spinning wheel got traction, and that ended the shaft.

Mark slide sideways into a berm with his, and took out the joint, and the ears came around and tagged each other.

My breakage was mostly stupidity, I knew I wasn't going to get up the hill...

Mark should have been fine, but his joints were starting to go, and they couldn't handle the sudden load.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I just ordered 4.56's yesterday and will hopefully have them installed by next week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts