Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just wanted to say it was a fun day even though i didnt run my truck :(: but it was nice meeting Ian and seeing some of the same people again. cant wait to see some of the pics. Aarons rock slider are worth there weight in gold. Sean got some lift and tires on the X and looks real good man. Jason ran the creek for good ways and that was a lot of fun got some real cool pics there too. Joe showed up late in the day and did some real wheelin in the mud pit .... as he says got mud? and ohh ya he was coverd ... looked good man :): lots of brush scratches in the run all day Kenin truck did great as well as tunis all day .... nice with big lifts and for Kevin the locker really helps when you have bald tires good buy man i cant wait to get one in my truck. well just wanted to start the tread off and say it was a great day.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
This was a fun run. We did a lot more than last time and did a lot harder stuff. Due to the low turn out, we had 2 stockers and a newbie (thanks for coming down Ian, nice to meet you) running with us so that made for a lot of walking and spotting, but it was fun. They were cool enough to wait while the more equipped trucks ran some difficult trails.

Aaron and I ran the creek trail, a wet and rocky trail that follows a creek bed. He went a little farther than I did jsut becuase he has those bad-ass sliders, I wanted to keep my body panels straight (well, not make them worse)

First set of pics of the creek trail at http://www.pavementsucks.com/album/fr03.cgi

Definately going to be making more runs out there, lots of trails to explore still.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This trip was definately FUN! Nice lil turn out. Got to meet Ian for the first time, who by the way drove all the way from Redding to make this run! We did some pretty knarly stuff...like go UP that that hill we all went down on the previous FR run. We went up this one new trail which was a bit difficult for the stock trucks, but on the way down is where the longer wheel base vehicles had a bit of trouble (like me)...the trail down was very narrow with sharp turns and loose rocks/dirt...Aaron and I were on 3 tires around this one turn, but made it out okay...Jason and Aaron ran the creekbed past the exit trail out (didnt get a chance to see Aaron run it, but saw the pics!) I agree with Jason, lets get back out there and explore some new trails! Hey guys, thanks for the FUN time...oh, and a big thanks goes out to Frank Raines OHV Park for all the many new pin stripes! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I really enjoyed the run. I really wanted to run the creek but I had to head out for work. We really found out how important taking "the right line is". On the downhill trail where Aaron and Tunis lifted the left rear tires (quite a bit!) I was spotted through and kept all 4 wheels on the ground (which was VERY comforting). Ian, good to meet you. Is anyone elses legs sore from all of the walking or is it just me thats WAY out of shape? I had absolutely no inclination to go into the water pit that nearly claimed my tranny last trip and I couldn't get far enough away from it after Jason stalled his engine in it. Good thing it fired back up without any problems. Aaron, did you actually put the sliders over some rocks there? I'd like to go to Frank Raines in the very near future and probably camp there for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sliders Rock!!!

Yeah, the sliders got (ab)used on saturday, that's for sure.

Would love to see some short video clips of me setting the sliders down on those rocks in the creek trail.

I purposely ran the sliders up against a rock in the garder by the exit hill, where we exited the creek-bed last run. Slid on the slider it's entire length. Only damage was the paint and I dented the pinch-welds in a few places.

With the sliders, I worry a lot less about body damage when going over rocks, but I still need to do some refinement. The evap canister hangs below the support bars on the passenger side, and the tank hangs below the frame-rails, as well. I'm considering fabbing up some plates that run between the support-bars (thanks for the idea Justin), and starting to think aobut something for the gas-tank.

I've definitely decided I like rocks better than steep hills. Well, I don't mind going UP steep hills, it's that downhill part that I don't like.

I took the wrong line coming around a corner, and my rear inside tire went up the side of the trail, and about tipped me right over. NOT FUN on three wheels with your back tire 2-3' in the air, on a VERY steep hill.

In all, it was a good day.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm glad to hear everyone had a good time. It's also nice to hear some guys willing to try, and wanting to do, the hard stuff. I'm also glad you guy were able to explore more of the park. It doesn't compare in size to Hollister but it still provides many good challenges, sometimes you just need to look for them. I have seen many websites that claim Frank Raines is only good for getting you rig muddy. You guys have just proved there is more than meets the eye.

I can't wait to decide what i'm going to do about with my tranny so i can get back out there!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Yes Kevin, you are not the only one that is sore and tired. Those hills are steep....

Oh yeah...that stalled engine.. I was hoping that wouldn't come up :):

That one downhill switchback was interesting to say the least for most of the guys. Once the line was figured out, you could keep all 4 wheels on the ground, but they would tend to try to pass you up as they slide in the ruts. I picked the right line right away, but since I as scouting the trail and a decent distance ahead, it would have been a lot of hiking to spot those behind me. Also that trail was fairly long and we were unsure of what it entailed, but it was pretty tight and no where to turn around. I would have hated having everyone follow me and then try to get 6 rigs to backup this thing if the trail dead-ended or was impassable.

It was nice watching Aaron with his rear sliders. These are no nerf bars.... Definately held the weight of the truck and I WANT SOME!!! Takes 75% of the pressure off you when you have soemthing that definately protects the body and you can just go for it.

Rob and Sean did real well in their stock Toy and Xterra, respectively. The lack of even a limited slip played havoc with their short wheelbase on some of the hill climbs and ruts,they after trying several different lines they both made it. I do like their small narrow rigs though. I have lots of new scratches and pin stripes

Too bad you couldn't make it Doug. It was fun. Hope you can get your rig rolling again and make the next one. To where, I have no idea...

Definately appreciate Ian driving all the way down. It was his first time out really wheeling and he sucked it up and followed all the Dodges (all the Rams had 3" min lift and 35's with LSDs or lockers)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say as usual, it was so very much fun, even if only for a little while. I'll have to admit though I wish I had a lift and a smaller wheel base. Oh but It's a work truck, And I remembered that today while hauling a trailer and forklift. I am trully starting to work on my Willys and hopefully we can see just how it does off road... I'd have to say though that Mud is what my truck loves. The XT's once again did their job. The diesel just kept chuggin away. However it was my wheelbase that kept me from showing Jason how to forge water, but that doesn't matter I had more fun flinging muddy water at everybody. :D: I hope those pictures come out of the muddy water flying high. Look forward to it again. Oh and Tunis next time we will make it a point to meet. Sean and Ian it was nice meeting you. Take care guys, Got Mud?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Joe,
We will meet one of these days! :D: What time did you arrive? Kevin(ramcc4x4) and I took off around 4:30 or so...did we just miss you? Anyhow, I had a really fun time and we will definately be setting up another Frank Raines Run really soon! What about Pismo, are you into sand? I see a Pismo Run in the very near future and thats not too far from you, right? Are there any pics of you in action through the mud? Talk to yah later...! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
145 Posts
On 2002-04-08 19:49, TUNIS wrote:
Joe,
We will meet one of these days! :D: What time did you arrive? Kevin(ramcc4x4) and I took off around 4:30 or so...did we just miss you? Anyhow, I had a really fun time and we will definately be setting up another Frank Raines Run really soon! What about Pismo, are you into sand? I see a Pismo Run in the very near future and thats not too far from you, right? Are there any pics of you in action through the mud? Talk to yah later...! :bigthumb:

Tunis,
We arrived a little after 4:00 and started looking for you guys. I guess when we saw everybody heading to the camp, thats when you two left... Go figure... So we hooked up with everybody just after that. Pismo sounds good to me. I will try to make it... I'd like to get tot he beach soon anyways. It's that time of year right? I hope there are pictures of me in the mud! you guys that took pictures of that, get them on here :D:
Take Care, Got Mud?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry it took soooooo long, but I have been traveling for work. Here are the pics that I took, alot of them and duplicates I know, but I figured that better too many than not enough. Enjoy.
http://www.trail-runners.com/FR0402/FR0402.htm

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
First off i'd like to say it was a pleasure meeting everyone. I had a blast, it was definitly worth the 4-5 hour drive to go out and play for ten hours or so... For being the smallest Ram out there...whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger. I really enjoyed the park, all the new "character lines" just makes it all the more interesting. Jason, i'll definitly make it down there for the next one. I'd even go down to Hollister, wherever that is. Tunis it was a pleasure, thank you for letting me borrow a CB for the day. What was your g/f reaction when your tire went in the air around that turn anyway? Kevin, pleased to meet you. Justin, I still want to see pics of your truck, glad the trannys doing better. Rob, you didn't scratch the Toy to bad did you? Thanks for letting me stay the night, no I don't remember when I went out (to tired) will continue to look for a cheap strait axle for you. Aaron, love the sliders, trying to figure out how to put a set on mine. Sean, sorry I didn't get a pic, I was a little stunned when I saw you on two wheels as Justin and Rob jumped on the back of the X. Joe it was a pleasure, next time you spin in the pit though, ya might want to put your window up. This was definitly a learning experience, that now adds to my things I need list...body lift, new gears, lockers, ruenel bumpers, rock sliders, ceremic paint job, win the lottery...

Can't wait to do it again though, Ian

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ian, you need to get us up there near you for some wheelin action. I'm planning on doing a Sierra trip this summer in my Ram with a couple of buddies. I think you'll like Hollister, especially if you camp for the weekend to break up the drive time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes, I agree...since Sept. 11, things have been interesting though. The Chappie OHV park is easily accessable by going over Shasta Dam. Unfortunatly people keep thinking that terrorists are going to try to blow it up. There is actually heavy guard still out there. They won't let anyone through. The thing that they're talking about, if the dam does suddenly dissapear, then there will be a trail of destruction all the way to Sacramento. If you're good at your fluid measurements, think of it this way. Current storage behind Shasta dam is roughly 4.3 million acre-feet of water. What an impact that would make. Anyway, when I find out more info, I'll let you know. I left the map at Rob's house. Maybe he could put it up here so you can at least check out what we could do. It's mostly decomposed granite. Lots of rocky trails. Great for character lines, and somewhere else for Woody to test his rock sliders besides a creek.

Later....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts