Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about possibly building a buggy and have tried to design a few. What is the best way to do this? Just come up with an overall shape and then go from there? Also how can I tell if the roll cage will be strong enough or not? Also what size tubing is usually run?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
413 Posts
i cant really help you out, but i would say try the search cause i am sure you will find some good info through there.

all in all you NEED to make sure your geometry is correct on the tubing otherwise it is gonna be a death trap(but i am sure you knew that)

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Pirate would be a better place to check for this info

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The easiest way to do it is to get your drivetrain and build a suspension first, and a chassis second around it.

If you try and build the chassis to look a certain way (nothing wrong with that) you'll often times end up compromising the suspension and end up having to put things where they fit rather than where they would work the best.

Just my two cents,
Sean

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I have been trying to decide about my drivetrain. Also how much does it cost for a four-link setup? A three-link?

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Not sure what you mean.....it can cost thousands of dollars or if you have a lot of the components/tools/know-how...you can do it yourself and save a lot of money.

There's no real ballpark number b/c it all depends on the parts you want to use.

As an example......I spent about $2000 on just Spherical Rod Ends, High Angle Misalignment Spacers and Threaded Tube Adapters for my f/r 4 links.

Here's a pic of my rear 4 link:

[img=431x347]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/blt4rox/RearX.jpg[/img]

Sean

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. Can I buy an old truck and use the axles and drivetrain off of it?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
On 2005-12-16 09:48, sktw8 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Can I buy an old truck and use the axles and drivetrain off of it?

Thats what I did. Then bought a build chassis. Then picked out the power plant I wanted. I could have used the axles from the original frame. But Have slowly upgraded (during the build).

Suggestion: decided on what you want, build it. Then you can change stuff. It has cost me LOTS of $$ changing during the build process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts