Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you removed your turbo silencer ring? I did this weekend. It didn't make much of a difference with the stock filter but I added a K&N and MAN...I love it. She screams down the road now. If you haven't done it and you like the sound of the turbo I recommend it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I installed the complete K&N set up on my diesel almost two months ago and did notice rigth away that it was a little louder. You can hear the air filter sucking air.

I thought about removing the ring but I think that will stay till a replacement turbo is needed.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's simple, took me less than 5 minutes.

Just remove the flex hose from the front of the turbo that goes to the breather. Just inside the turbo, you will see a snap ring that looks like a piston ring(charcoal color), just pry it out (careful on the aluminum).
Once you have the snap ring out, you can easily remove the silence ring.

Here are before & after pics:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know if mine has been removed or not? My truck is really loud so it probably has been removed. Haven't gotten around to checking yet. If it's not and I remove it, it's going to scream!! I try to check that this week.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Question- DOesn't mess up any of the turbos performace? Looks like there are small vents behind that ring, does it actually allow more air in?

Nick.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't affect the performance in any way, good or bad. All it does is make it quieter for the old folks who don't enjoy the noise.

If you're still running the factory air filter you won't notice much difference. I didn't notice until I dropped in the K&N.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yeah, I already have a K and N, so I'll take it out this weekend and see how it sounds. Maybe I finally have some friggin spare time this weekend...not holding my breath though. I want to take my muffler off also, it has a huge dent in it and rattles, it is very annoying, It won't hurt to run it with a straight pipe for a while will it? I wanta new exhaust, just don't know what kind I want to get yet. Any suggestions?

Nick.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Motorhead, did you use the K&N drop in filter? If so check out this one, they claim the same flow as K&N but better dirt trapment. Tell me what you think as I am debating which one to get. I read on Cummins website that they do not recommend using the K&N as they say it does not stop the dirt enough and will cause pitting in the cylinders.

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/turbo_filters

http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/products/dodgeram/faq/answers.cfm?uuid=00060D72-0093-1B8D-BCF080C4A8F00000

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the exhaust, I'm doing the same. I talked to a guy this weekend who's supposed to make me a pipe to put in place of the muffler. I'm actually thinking of running a single stack...haven't decided.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I want to run a straight pipe too, or get a good high flow exhaust.Will any muffler shop just fab a straight pipe up? Doesn't seem like it would be too hard. I think I'm just going to take it off fro now, since the rattling is annoying as hell.

Nick.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
is that turbo silencer ring the same on the 12 valves?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
and can you put it back in?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Badboy, you should be able to go to just about any muffler shop for the muffler replacement pipe. I tried a couple down here and they said that they weren't able to do much with the 3" pipe so I had to end up going to a place that delt with semi exhaust. There is a company who makes a replacement pipe, for the life of me I can't seem to remember where I saw it but if I find it again I'll let you know. It was around $145 though, seemed a little pricey to me...

If you just want to replace the muffler here's the adapter you'll need.

http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/tranpip35to4.html

I think I'm gonna eventually go with this set up without the muffler so I can go to the 4".

http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/94dodcum2559.html

Chris, to my knowledge the silencer ring should be the same for your truck as well. And yes you can put it back just as easily as you take it out.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hey, Another question for you, Any easy way to get those little friggin ruber bumper hangers for the muffler off? I pried on one for like 20 minutes, finally got it off, but there were an army of them left, so I put it back on and called it a day, I didn't want to take my muffler off that bad. Can you buy replacements for them? I want to just cut them off and get some new ones if I ever want to put the thing back on. Oh, By the way, the banks muffler is 655 bucks? what the heck? It doesn't look that impresive!

Nick.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ok, I just took out the silencer ring. Took about 5 min. Two flat-head screw drivers and a flashlight (since it's dark). I drove around the block, didn't notice a difference. I have a K&N filter too. Maybe it's just the K&N that makes it louder. Try putting your ring back in and see if it gets quieter, I don't think it will. I will drive it somemore, but I don't think it made any difference. I will let you know in a few days. Think I'm going to ride the motorcycle tomorrow.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Badboy4453, $655 for the banks kit isn't all that bad considering it is stainless, has a lifetime warranty and included all of the pipes,muffler,tail pipe etc. If you price out a cat-back system for a gasser in stainless it is almost $500 and that is with only 3" pipe, at least the Banks system is 4" all the way and a 5" tail pipe. Plus it has the Banks name on it so that is good for at least 50-75 bucks right. Yes it is a little high priced but not too bad.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BadBoy, not sure about the exhaust rubbers. Mine seemed pretty soft when I pried on them. I didn't take them all off yet though. I'd call the local muffler shop and ask them how much replacements are. But if you buy an aftermarket setup it will either come with hangers or they will be available. And depending on which brand you buy they may not work with the existing hangers.
As for the price on the banks...yeah, she's a little pricey. That's because they want you to buy the whole pack. I have a friend with the complete power pack and it does make a big difference...I just can't justify that much cash.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DieselHrs, you're right about the K&N being the majority of the sound but I did put mine back in after installing the K&N and noticed a difference. Do you have an automatic? Because I have the 5-speed and I REALLY notice a big difference in mine as I'm winding out the gears, especially once I'm in 5th gear and passing some guy in a powerstroke!

Black 99 Dodge Ram 2500 QC SLT 4X4, 5.9L Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel (silencer ring removed), K&N, 5-speed manual, 33x12.50x16.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's, Westin nerf bars, Rhinolining, Catch-All floor mats

1 - 20 of 25 Posts