Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 2000, 2500 long bed cummins. got a slide in cab over and was wondering if you would flat tow your trail rig or buy a trailer. thing is the trail rig is a heaviy modified 83 diesel suburban.:dunno:

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
I personally would buy a trailer. If your wheeling and something breaks on your rig, its much easier to throw it on the trailer and drive home.

As for the weight, you will be fine. Just make sure you get a trailer that can haul the suburban and tools/gear.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Down fall of flat towing is that a lot of vehicle require the rear driveshaft removed. Also :withstupid: If you bust anything in the axles, tires, wheels you are screwed! You will also save on the tire wear from towing, can you imagine how quickly a set of offroad only tires will wear during a flat tow! That makes it worth it right there! :bigthumb:

Be sure you test out a few trailers before you buy. Best bet will be a tandem, but that Burb is heavy, so check your trailer capacity, ensure your trailer length will allow to limit the tongue weight to around 500-750, and make sure you get a weight distribution hitch since it will have to be a bumper pull with the camper. Might have to consider so AirLift bags to level the back. I have a set from when I had a bumper pull RV, definitely worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats one of the things i was scared of is the tires, but i figure that i can find a crappy set of stock rims and throw on some el cheapo smaller tires. dont know a thing about flat towing, like how it works, how safe it is. you guys are proably right a trailer has brakes and like ramaford said if i broke the crap out of it i could still get it home. thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah the more i think about it and the points you keep bringing up, a trailer is the best idea. next issue is finding a trailer that will fit every thing we need.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What about getting a goose neck long enough to put the camper on the front and the truck on the rear?

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
The gooseneck trailer idea is a good idea, but your looking at spending 8-10K for a trailer big and long enough. Ive seen it done many times. in fact there is a few threads on pirate and nc4x4.com about this.

But i think you can find a bumper pull trailer rated for 10K that is long enough. I have an 18' bumper pull rated for 10,000lbs. and its a stout trailer.

The other thing, like stated above, i would look into some air bags, to keep hte truck from sagging so bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I though about the goose neck option and it would be great to have one like the one on extreme 4x4, but unlike the tv show i have a very, very limited budget.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts