Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this question is mainly directed to those who have 38-40in tires on a dodge 2500 (HaWiiLuVeR, gotsmoke?). Could I fit some 40in hawgs with only a 5in lift? I know it'll be very tight, and i'm not afraid to do some trimming. How much lift do ya'll have and how much, if any, rubbing do you have? I don't mind if it rubs when flexing, i can deal with that. I just don't want it to be constantly rubbing on the street.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
On 2005-07-09 20:55, DieselAg wrote:
this question is mainly directed to those who have 38-40in tires on a dodge 2500 (HaWiiLuVeR, gotsmoke?). Could I fit some 40in hawgs with only a 5in lift? I know it'll be very tight, and i'm not afraid to do some trimming. How much lift do ya'll have and how much, if any, rubbing do you have? I don't mind if it rubs when flexing, i can deal with that. I just don't want it to be constantly rubbing on the street.

Well you quoted the wrong "Smoke" but I can answer this much at least. 5" won't clear 40's. :bad: I know Jeff (GotSmoke) has 40" Hawgs and he has I wanna say 7" of Suspension and another 3" body.

·
Registered
843 Posts
On 2005-07-09 20:55, DieselAg wrote:

I am running 38's with 7", and rubbed under flex while turning until I lengthened my long arms a couple of inches. I don't see running 40's and 5" over speedbumps without fender contact. It would be very tight if it does clear.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
yeah, there is pretty much no way. first off, there is not a 5" kit that i know of for a 2500.. there is the 4.5" kit though. and that, on a 1500 is the equivelent rougly to 6.5" on a 1500. and there is simply no way someone could clear 40's on a 1500 with 6.5" of lift, no matter how narrow of a wheel and tire and what backspacing, i just dont see it happening at all.

here is a pic of my truck forever ago with 7" of unsettled lift (sat closer to 8" at the moment) and BALD 35's.

[img=486x252]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/391000-391999/391754_9_full.jpg[/img]

i dont see 40's fitting, sorry man. i would get up to At least 8" or so on your 2500 before i would say you could run them comfortably on the road

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, well i guess it ain't gonna fit. I was talking about the tuff country 5" lift, which is about all i can afford right now. I was just gonna get a 2" spacers and some 35s, but those 40" hawgs Bosco has for sale really made want to try and fit em.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
On 2005-07-10 12:59, DieselAg wrote:
Damn, well i guess it ain't gonna fit. I was talking about the tuff country 5" lift, which is about all i can afford right now. I was just gonna get a 2" spacers and some 35s, but those 40" hawgs Bosco has for sale really made want to try and fit em.

haha, in that case.. they will fit fine... haha

but honestly, to clear them i think you would either need to run either 7-8" suspension. or else you could retrofit a body lift to work on your deisel like many people have done. i i knew you were talking about hawgs i would have said a hair less lift. they run a little small. infact my tires measure 38" mounted on the back of my truck and 37.5" mounted on the front, and thats o na 12" wide wheel. on a 9.75" wheel they would be a hair taller. let me know if you figure something out. i deffinately need to find a buyer for them

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have a diesel with a 3 inch body lift and 6 inch cepek kit. I have 39.5 Iroks and they do rub a little when flexed, I plan on trimming my bed and moving my front axle forward. here are some pics flexed and sitting normally:

[img=500x375]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/414000-414999/414017_225_full.jpg[/img]
[img=500x375]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/414000-414999/414017_235_full.jpg[/img]
[img=500x375]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/414000-414999/414017_238_full.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I had 40s on my 5" skyjacker kit for a minute, untill I tried to turn... lol, I atleast reccomend 7" of suspension lift. Im running 10.5 total lift, with 39.5 tires, with plenty and I mean plenty of room, not a but of rubbing either. Not even in flex all too much. Id say go with the 5" for now, then add a body lift and you should clear 38s fine. but remember, you must gear yourself right to be running 40s. I would do that before you do 40s. Just my two cents. -Jordan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for those who have tried it and had to add more lift to safely run the tires, just how much rubbing did you have. I can put up with it if it's just a little rubbing at full lock or flexed out, just as long as it's not digging the tire into the fender. Also, where does it rub usually? the back of the front fender?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
man with the money you have got wrapped up with the stuff thats in your sig why are you going to try and bootyfab your suspension, i know how stuff can be tight but ..... just think about it once you cut the fenders you cant go back

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i got the truck modded like it is already...and for a very good price at that. I understand what you're saying, but i'm a cheep a$$ and don't mind the cutting the fenders...looks more hardcore, heh

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
whatever floats your boat, if you make your own lift with miss matched parts you can do it alittle cheeper

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I rubbed with 36"s when I had the 4.5" SJ kit only. You'll rip them with 40"s. You're going to have to chop the {expletive} out of the fenders to run them, but even then. Also, going to 40"s will slow you down quite a bit if you don't regear...keep that in mind. It will be much more functional with 35-37" tires IMO.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'd say at least 10 to clear them properly, my buddies 3500 ram is on 8 inches and has 37 inch baja claws and it looks about right. An another buddy with a non-dually 3500 ram is on 12 inches with ground hawg 40's and they look good and he dosent run when in the pits...

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah, there is pretty much no way. first off, there is not a 5" kit that i know of for a 2500.. there is the 4.5" kit though. and that, on a 1500 is the equivelent rougly to 6.5" on a 1500. and there is simply no way someone could clear 40's on a 1500 with 6.5" of lift, no matter how narrow of a wheel and tire and what backspacing, i just dont see it happening at all.

here is a pic of my truck forever ago with 7" of unsettled lift (sat closer to 8" at the moment) and BALD 35's.

[img=486x252]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/391000-391999/391754_9_full.jpg[/img]

i dont see 40's fitting, sorry man. i would get up to At least 8" or so on your 2500 before i would say you could run them comfortably on the road
i’m currently running 35X12.50 tires on stock 17s with a 2.5in leveling kit on an 06 2500 cummins and i have no rubbing accept for when i’m flexed at full lock i scrape the inner fender but there’s still room left to where if i ran a 4in i could most likely clear 37s38s even so i feel like 40s on a 6in lift are doable

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.