First to post

Discussion in 'Bikes and ATVs' started by Off_Road_Ram_01, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Off_Road_Ram_01

Off_Road_Ram_01 Well-Known Member

Got my 4pt harnesses installed - much nicer then the stock belts. Got money saved up for aftermarket skids - should be ordering those soon, then late winter / early spring time for the winch. Either going with a Viper Elite or Warn XT - either of those in the 4k flavor.

Might try the tusk 1/2 folding windshield as well, though not sure. Like that one cause you can fold down and lock it down like a jeep. Also debating about a different intake - mainly cause the stock ones have a tendency to let dust into the throttle body (design flaw via Polaris).

2. Off_Road_Ram_01

XP flare install

S flares removed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

XP flare on the left, old S flare on the right
    [​IMG]

XP flare on passenger side and S flare on driver side for comparison installed.
    [​IMG]

3. Off_Road_Ram_01

Order a folding 1/2 front windshield and skid / MM lift for underneath. Still going to older complete skids later on this month or early next month.

4. Off_Road_Ram_01

Order a 4k viper elite winch, with wireless remote and 40' of synthetic red rope (shipped today)

5. Off_Road_Ram_01

Okay will add pics when I get home. Got the winch installed and working (took forever to route all the wiring). Had addtional wiring since the wireless controller has a seperate box to install. Got the windshield on - we'll see how that works later. Had to keep it a few inches above the cowl, cause when trying to tilt it to the open position it bound up. Suppose to get a warm day this week so going to tackle the midframe beefed up cross member and MM lift.

Only got a few more things to add this year - then will swing back over to concentrate on Powerwagon mods.

6. Off_Road_Ram_01

Pics - lol, finally

front end removal
    [​IMG]

front storage box removed - also a good time to make a dash block off to keep dust / wind from coming up over dash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

winch and all accessories for it laid out
    [​IMG]

7. Off_Road_Ram_01

winch mounting brackets - lots of fun with these - sooooo much room:wall:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

going to have to put another piece of hose here for the rubbing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

remote control receiver
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

all back together
    [​IMG]

8. Off_Road_Ram_01

9. Off_Road_Ram_01

Added a plow this winter since the new house has a lot longer driveway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will be putting this on in the spring - 2" RT lift, then hopefully adding 28" tires, and down the road getting beadlock rims.
    [​IMG]

10. JasonB

JasonB Administrator

11. Off_Road_Ram_01

Hmmm, lets come back from the dead here - lol. Believe it or not I still have this machine, and mods slowly continue to be added. THe 2" lift is on, also added new 14" rims and 30" zillas, new suspension seats, LED dual row light bar on top, and two pods in the front bumper.

Coming soon are 1.5" forward mounted front A arms since the 30s rub at full lock of jumping. Adding Bluetooth speakers to work with the phone, Air raid air intake / snorkel setup. Ran the 30s this summer, and getting the itch to go bigger with portals.......

12. JasonB

JasonB Administrator

Going full out on that thing I see. Sounds like fun. I've thought about buying one but not sure when/where I'd be able to regularly use it.

13. Off_Road_Ram_01

lol - since I have no other "toys" so to speak of yeah, it gives me something to play with. THis way I'm less inclined to start modding the Ram more. Will try to get some more pics and details up soon. Leaning towards getting a new Polaris General, mainly since the dump bed would be sooooo much nicer with the landscaping we are doing around the house. I'm probably at least 400 77lb retaining wall bricks in to my few year retaining wall project. That and using a little atv dump trailer behind the rzr is getting old for backing up.

New axle shafts I'm looking at are freaking $200 a piece, unbelievable what rzr parts cost. Need them for the offset arms and larger tires though - been doing a lot more mud then I have ever planned for this year.

14. Off_Road_Ram_01

15. Off_Road_Ram_01

Been collecting parts since Black Friday....... Time to get off my lazy ass and install some. Gave up on the factory Polaris prerunner bumper set up mainly due to the pain in the ass to work on the winch.

[​IMG]

old bumper setup:
    [​IMG]

New setup:
    [​IMG]

Now on to the front suspension. New high clearance A arms that are offset forward 1.5" to help rubbing with the 30s when jumping or turning when suspension articulated.

Front upper
    [​IMG]

Driver side assembled
    [​IMG]

I would put more pics up but this piece of crap old laptop and photobucket are being a bitch so I give up for now.

16. Off_Road_Ram_01

Well learned a very hard lesson, and a big F U to Polaris. In their infinite wisdom they decided it was a great idea to put a nylon locking nut on the pinion shaft to secure it in place. Took the rzr for spin to test out front end, and the rear end seized up in the garage as I pulled in. My pinion nut backed off, thanks to the nylon degrading over time / heat. This resulted in my pinion jamming into the ring gear and punching a baseball side hole in my diff. After this happened I then find out about the dreaded pinion nut issue. And holy crap, what fun to get this changed out.

Oh yeah and a new rear differential cost $1200.