Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Just in response to the Hollister trip. I thought it would be good for everyone to remind everyone to have a Fire Extinguisher in their trucks. This is a needed acessory. If you'd like you can label it "FJTHIS" to pay respect to the lesson learned in Hollister. I believe there are several different types on Fire Extinguishers out there. I'll let someone who knows about these things (Rob Burns?) tell us which ones would be best.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
An ABC type will be a bit more expensive, but it will be rated for all types of fire (auto, gas, electrical, debris)

·
Registered
295 Posts
A 5 pounder BC is a good size for vehicles, they will put out an engine fire and small cab fire. They don't last a long time, you have to be conservative, but they aren't to big to store in your truck. That is the size the 2 on my truck were before they were used to put Rampage's tent out. I'm going to be getting a 5 BC and a 15 pound ABC extinguisher for my diesel. You can put out a pretty good sized fire out with a 15 pounder. Thay are a bit big to store though, I'm going to put the 5 in the cab and the 15 in the tool box.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I still want to hear how that fire got out of control, whats the big secret?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fire Fighting 101:

Fires are classified into 4 catagories lables A,B,C,and D.

Alpha class fires are anything that will leave an ash. People fall under this catagory and are fondly called "screaming Alpha". Paper, wood, coal, fabric would all be examples of an Alpha class fire. They will also initially give off a white steam type looking smoke. My tent was an alpha.

Brovo class Fires are "usually" a liquid, and some may leave an ash. Solvents, paint, thinners, and the gas that Justin demo'd for us all fall under this class of fire. Thanks again to Justin for brining this to our attention.

Charlie class fires are electrical fire. These don't need much explanation. However, there are a whole new set of rules for dealing with this type of fire.

Delta class fires are exotic matirial fires. These again require a whole new approach to put out. For those who camped out Friday night and seen me ignite that magnesium (sp?) seen that applying water to that type of fire is a VERY bad idea. There are several materials that fall under this class, but for several reasons I doubt that the 4wheel types will not come in contact with. Unexploded boms for example.

How to put them out:
A class: water, sand, pouder style extinguisher all work fine. Thise is where those letters on the side of a extinguiisher mean something. Those ABCD's are all referign to the class of fire they are intended for.

B class fires: The same extinguishers work on this fire but you MUST remember that unlike an A class, a high pressure extinguisher can spread this type of fire. Since its a liquid fire. Also remember that the liquid will usually be absorbed into the enviroment, such as sand. You may think the fire is out, but there will be fresh fuel waiting to be lit as it becomes a vapor. Reflash is a HUGE issue with these fires. The most effective type of extinguisher here is a foam type. After the fire is out, the foam stays in place and acts as a barrier between the fuel and the air. Thes types will have a very dense black smoke. Think of tires on fire. Tires are a class B because they will liquify as they burn.

C class fires are electrical and although you have been taught not to use water on these type you in fact can. However, you can't use a solid stream, btu you can use a spray style or a mist. Obviouly this is NOT your first choice. HALON was developed for these types of fires. Be VERY careful with HALON. It operates by displacing the oxygen from the enviroment. If it were to bo sprayed into a persons face it "could" be fatal. NEVER USE HALON IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE UNLESS YOU HAVE A SELF CONTAINED AIR SUPLY.
Also, like a class B, reflash is a problem with these. Once its out, post a fire watch until teh power supply has been cut off and the fire site is cool to teh touch. Obviously your first priority here should be to kill the power supply, but sometimes this is not an option and are forced to deal with the fire aspect first. These will have either a light black, or white smoke.

D class fires are a bit tricky and this why ABC type extinguishers are more common than ABCD types. I doubt if you will ever see a class D. I would suggest that if you think its a D class that you simply evac and call 911. These types of fire are usually very toxic so don't try to be a hera with them. RUN.

I would say that a ABC extiguisher is all that most of us will ever need. As some of you have found out, the small extinguishers have only about 10-15 seconds of life to them.

When trying to put out a fire, aim for the base of it and use a left right sweeping motion. BE VARY AWARE OF WIND DIRECTION AND DO NOT GET IN THE FIRES PATH OR SMOKE. Most some is very toxic.

That concludes todays lesson. You can that the USN for this lesson. :):

·
Registered
295 Posts
Very well said, Rampage. Also before using a fire extinguisher give it a good shake, it gets the powder loosend up that has been settling in the bottom for ? amount of time. When using the extinguisher don't turn it upside down it won't work. There is basically a straw in the bottle, like a squirt bottle, that sucks from the bottom. There is compressed gas on top of the powder that pushes the powder up the straw and out the nozzle. Just incase anyone cared how an extinguisher worked. Also if you have an extinguisher make sure it's charged, it does no good to carry around an empty. And Justin no need to get me any replacements, I went and bought some new ones the other day.

·
Registered
246 Posts
thanks guys :): and i said i would post the story if enough people asked about it. but i would kinda like to leave it out since my pride is still a little damaged over it. i will have two 15 pounders in my truck at all times now :): just a small hint dont put gasoline on a fire to start it .... bad idia you never know what maybe still burning in the bottom. this is what i found out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
No need to go into too many details about how it started. It happened and the general gist is understood. Lesson learned already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts