Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after much deliberation about size and what-not... I finally got some installed!

I went with the 305/70's to be on the safe side. Not that I was worried about them rubbing in the Ram but I didnt want my truck to become a convertable when pulling in the parking garage at work.

My first impression of these tires are WOW! They are super quiet, I think quieter than my BFG AT's. They also seem to have a softer yet stronger sidewall if that makes sense? I am running almost 5psi more in these tires than in my old BFG's and the ride is about the same if not smoother but yet there is virtually no sidewall buldge at the bottom of the tire. The real test is when it rains and I have to traverse the mud-bog of a road I live on. But I definately like their on road characterists so far, not to mention they look totally cool.

I know some of you are asking why I went with MT/R's instead of another set of BFG's... Well I have had two sets of BFG AT's on my truck. The first one lasted 60k and this last set had almost 70k with a little over 1/8" of tread left before the wear indicators. Pretty good mileage if you ask me. Long ago I said next time I get tires I will get the BFG MT's... but then te MT/R's came out and everybody has been raving about them so I had to have a set, plus they are a lot cheaper than the BFG's. I would recommend the BFG's to anyone as they were a good tire for me but I just wanted to try something different.

For the record... I bought the tires from Fishkill Tire Co. in Fishkill, NY. They are a great bunch of guys there. The salesman, Tom, has a '00 Ram with BFG MT's on it and he was out in the garage with me checking out my lift kit (he has a Rancho) and swapping some stories/tech tips. He wants me to call him back and let them know how they are as he hasnt had a chance to ride on a set yet. Also the mechanics were cool as I was hanging out in the garage watching the tires get mounted and balanced. Many thanks to Brad for doing a good job.

Go here to check out some photos:
http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?cat=500&user=46&thumb=1

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Jay,

What offset do those eagle alloys have? Your 305s look like they stick further out than my 315s.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Odd, they look like they stick out _just_ a bit more than mine do.

Wierd.

Looks great!

BTW, you still on DiRT?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well (if I remember correctly) your AR Baja's have 0 offset and 4" of backspacing as compared to my -11/4.5" which would account for the difference in the 305/315 width difference. Also I think in that pic that my drivers wheel was turned ever so slightly to the left. I thought it was straight but I noticed in another pic I took of the front of the truck that the steering wheel was off center a tad.

Yeah I'm still on DiRT... :):

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That extra half-inch of backspacing should pull the tire in, not push it out... Odd.

I just checked their site, and it's 4.45" of BS, no offset. Interesting.

But a hair to the left would have done it, too. I was thinking that maybe the camera wasn't dead straight on the truck, or something, too.

Hadn't noticed any posts on DiRT for a while from you (but I delete a lot of message en-masse), so was just curious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those are some bad looking tires. We're starting to retrofit all of our patrol trucks (USBP) with those tires. And we do drive our trucks hard throgh sand, hardpack, jagged southwest AZ rocks, barbwire...you name it! We'll see how they hold up!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Duh Aaron, I'm a moron... you have 4.45"/0 and my wheels are 4"/-11!!! I just checked Eagles site...

16 x 8 5 on 5.5 -11mm 4"

I knew our wheels were different by .5" but I had them backwards. I'm half asleep today.

I dont post too much on DiRT anymore just alot of lurking. Most of my attention goes here and at dodgetrucks.org

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That would explain the difference. And no rubbing problems with only the 4" of BS?

Think you'd rub with 315s?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it would. I was just all backwards yesterday. :):

I dont come close to rubbing with the 305's.
Since the 315's arent really all that much wider and only taller I dont think I'd have an issue rubbing because there does seem to be alot of room left over. Oh well, I just didnt want a convertable. :):

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
definitely understand the convertible part.

Just curious because 15" wheels are using 3.75" backspacing (I thought), and was just thinking about backspacing issues.

Eventually I may get some steel 15" wheels, so I can run more (and cheaper) sizes of tires, but for now I'm leaving it alone.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know Mike Demski and old memeber of the RTML was running 35x12.5x15 tires on his Ram with the same lift as me. I beleive the only issues he had with rubbing where on his Mopar steps which he removed. I have the Mopar steps on my truck too, but when I mounted them I moved them back about 1" so I wouldnt have that problem when I install that size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts