Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally raised up enough money for my gears. I made the decision to go with 4.56's although I still have doubts as to how high I'm gonna tach at highway speeds. The gear ratio chart I found at http://www.4wheelpartswholesalers.com:80/tire_gear_ratio.asp helped me decide.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Have no fear, I have 4.56s on 35's and they are perfect. Best investement thus far. With 36's I don't know how you put up with it this long. You will love it. The only regret I have about my gears is not getting them done sooner. I will have 38's soon, and I am concerned about how much pulling power I will have then. Oh well with 38's I can take my time, what are they gonna do, run me over?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey dont wory about your tack, I'm running 4.56 with my 285/76/16's. I put the gears in with 35's on my mind but after much deliberation I chose the 3in and 33's over the 5in and 35. To much climbing in and out for a daily driver, at least for now. When its paid for and I can get something else for a daily driver I'll probably get the skyjacker 7in and a 3 in body lift too, maybe. Any way if you check this link out youll see a guy running helcats with Q78's (36/10.50/16) on them with a 3in lift
http://www2.aeronix.com/~dudleydodge/ Well good luck with you swap and if you go with 4wheelparts and you buy the master install kits they will give you a lifetime no questions asked warranty... you break em they replace em. All in all it cost me $500 for danaspicer gears up front,precesion gears in the back, and both master install kits... and ruffly $500 to have them installed. So check out 4wheelparts the warranty is worth it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've had to live with factory gears for a while because I didn't have the money. I'm doing the swap in my schools garage with the help of a few classmates. I'll let you know how it goes, the flat rate for both axles is about 20 hours so I'll have my hands full. I cant wait to get those gears installed!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
20 hours??? Are you gonna rebuild the motor and tranny too? 2 hours per axle, max.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think so, our school has mitchell and all data which are computer programs that write repair orders and estimate labor. They determine the flat rate is 20 hours. Its a combination of many things, the axles themselves, front takes 5.9 hours, rear is 7.9 hours. Applying the silicone gasket takes 2 hours alone to let it dry. Try doing both axles sometime I guarentee you it will take alot longer than 2 hours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was going to go with 4.11 but maybe I should go with 4.56. I just scared of taching out and not making it streetable. Now I want a rear locker in it too, but their are other concerns with that also. Waybe I'll just go with an auburn...what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-01-29 13:28, Outlaw Ram wrote:
I dont think so, our school has mitchell and all data which are computer programs that write repair orders and estimate labor. They determine the flat rate is 20 hours. Its a combination of many things, the axles themselves, front takes 5.9 hours, rear is 7.9 hours. Applying the silicone gasket takes 2 hours alone to let it dry. Try doing both axles sometime I guarentee you it will take alot longer than 2 hours.

Thoe shop that did my gears and locker go tmy truck at 8am and had it ready for me at 4:30pm the same day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i wouldnt worry about your tach with 4.56's and 35's. i have 4.10's and 33's and my tach only reads 1600 rpm while going 55 mph on the highway and gets about 16 mpg at that speed.

jason, what did it cost you for parts and labor on your gear swap?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing you have to remember Jason is that we are doing both axles and most of us are not professional mechanics just yet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
well 20 hours is a joke. i am a mechanic and i use mitchell labor est. progam about 20 to 30 times a day and thats not right. i will have to look it up at work later i think you might be factoring in to much stuff and over laping. a shop charges flat rate and thats what mechanics make and they can do the job in 6 hours in and out with a luch break. if it took 20 hours the mechanics and the shop would be losing a lot of money in labor. in shop at school it might take you 20 hours since you are learning as you go. good luck man i did the same thing in school meny years ago on my 67 camero and it took me days because to meny people around and lots of disraction. but good luck hope it works

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well like I said the combined time was not as much for just the ring and pinion but i did factor the other things in like shims and bearings and axleshafts. I might have overlapped, but this is a learning process for me so we'll take our time cause we don't really have a time limit.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It is pretty easy, just make sure to get the lash set right between the pinion and the ring gear, probably the most important thing in the whole job. Air tools make life easier, if you have the avail of them. I can get the whole gear sets with master install kits for about $480, give or take if you are interested...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I alreay ordered the front and rear package for about $650. Where can you get them for $480? Does that include the new carrier for the Dana 44?

96 Ram 5.2L V8 4" trailmaster suspension lift, Flowmaster Dual exhaust, 36" swamper radials on 16x8 US wheels, Grizzly rollbar with 2 KC daylighters, Mopar perfromance computer, [email protected] cold air intake, bed mounted spare tire carrier with a full size spare

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yup, that included the new carrier as well. I have my sources... :wink:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well there a very limited sources for off road parts in this state so i take what I can get :(:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ahh that is the beauty of Mail oreder services!! That is the only way I buy things nowadays. If it can't be bought from your own home, then why waste your time? You will undoubtedly end up paying more than you should every time! When I order something, it usually takes about 3 days or less to get to me. Oh, and did I mention that the gears were lifetime "no questions asked" warranty? That is a good thing, as I have already munched a set of gears once before...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ouch!!!!!! $650.....That really stinks.... I got original dana spicer gears, master install kit comes with the dana spicer gear set and the front carrier,shims etc.... and precesion gears for the rear( already had a track lock)master install kit, no questions asked lifetime warranty and free shipping for $500. I hoped they gave you a kiss after they billed you (hahahah) check out four wheel parts wholesalers (1-800-421-1050) ask for cesar or john they work in the afternoon....they will take care of you if you tell them a price they will meet or beat it usually by a good bit. Randys ring and pinion wanted $650 for gears plus shipping and no warranty, I told 4 wheel parts this and they hooked me up for $500

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I heard that they match any price, 4wheel is probably the best place on the net!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts