Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it was brought to my attention that it's not common knowledge as to how to order one of these amazing books, I thought I'd let ya'll know.

The FSM, for those of you who aren't familiar with it, is what separates a dealer mechanic from someone that owns all the tools needed to fully tear-down and rebuild the truck.

Ever wonder how the automatic tranmission works? 170 pages of dismantling, reassembly, diagnostics, and explanations of how the valve-body works. That's just 1/3 of chapter 21...

The FSM for all 2000 Ram trucks is about 3-4" thick, and must be several thousand pages long... VERY thin paper.

But, for a mere $50-120 (depending on year, older is cheaper), this can be yours, too!!

http://www.techauthority.com

Click "Service Manuals", then select your year, then your truck.

Slap down a credit-card number, wait a few days, and provide yourself with more mind-numbing reading on your truck than you though could exist.

I'm not responsible for any "discussions" between you and your "significant other" that may ensue due to reading this book obsessively. But then, if you're on this list obsessively, she might already by used to that... :):

Seriously, it's an amazing book. If you aspire to being a VERY competer DIYer, and want to be able to do more than just change the oil, this is it.

If you want to disassemble a 46RE, and have the tools to do it, this should be able to walk an untrained monkey through the procedure. Ooops, I wouldn't call a dealer mechanic a trained monkey, would I?

Sorry if any of you are delear techs, I know good ones and bad ones...

But this will get you above the bad ones!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am glad to see that they finally got their site running better. The last time I was there they didnt have half of the listings that they have now.

I was sprized to see that they have the manual for the 02 but bothered that they had everything other than it on CD.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Just ordered mine!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I ordered mine right after I bought my truck:

...anything you need to know, it's in here!!!

'98 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT 4X4 5.2, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 GoodYear MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Sidewinders, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Volant Cool Air Intake System w/ Ram Air Scoop, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
464 Posts
YOu can spend an arm and a leg ordering the book FROM chrysler... or you could contact Helms Inc. (a publishing company that makes most all service books for american made vehicles) and purchase it for less.

I paid $100 for the service and the electronics books for my '96 Z-28 (each book was about 2" thick).

-Chris

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Same with me, I ordered my FSM shortly after I got my truck. It was around $90.
Later....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to be of help.

Prices range from $60 for a 94 to $120 for an '01 (at least when I last looked at prices).

They get cheaper over time.

Good luck and happy wrenching!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts