Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there -

I'm looking at the Fabtech vs RCD 6" lift kits for my NBS Tahoe. They are similar style kits, both use new spindles/shocks and a front diff drop in front, relocated stock shock mounts and panhard bar mount in back. Both use two piece front crossmembers with impact struts.

The key differences are:

- Fabtech provides new extended length coil springs in back, while RCD uses big coil spacers with stock springs.

- Fabtech uses their own (Monroe?) front shocks, RCD uses 5100 series Bilsteins.

- RCD includes two "replacement heavy duty lower link arms" to "improve driveline angles".

- Fabtech includes a front diff skid.

Questions:

Anyone know what these RCD "lower link arms" are? I don't have their docs yet, it *looks* from the brochure photo like they may connect from the front of the front crossmember out to the front of the control arms somewhere? Or are they rear control arms? Dammit, I was at the RCD booth today and forgot to ask them.

I much prefer Bilstein shocks as a known quantity, comments on the Fabtech shocks?

The RCD rear spring spacers concern me - they don't look like they can provide a 6" lift, and that large a spacer just doesn't look like a very good solution vs a full length replacement coil. This is actually the one thing pushing me towards the Fabtech kit. Again, comments welcome, especially WRT the quality of the Fabtech coils.

Price is similar between the two. Thoughts?

KeS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, those "lower link arms" must be the lower control arms for the rear axle. I looked at the equivalent GM truck kit, which has leaf springs in the rear instead of the five-link, and it doesn't have them. One mystery solved.

KeS

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD Crew Cab and if they both don't come with upper control arms I wouldn't bother getting either one. I haveRCD 6inch lift lower to 4 inch an give had to put 6 upper control arms an balljoints in the past 5 years it put too much of a bind on ball joints cause of angle an really the uppercontroll arms an ball joint really are just small an weak for such a bigger engine an breaks an hubs . needs better ones especially for lift. Now have to decide what one. After going through 3 set of tires too! But that's my issue with any lift do it right the first time! That my opion!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts