Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting this lift and installing it myself on my truck. I searched the forum and found that LUV24BY had installed this kit and was working on a tech report on his installation. Can't find it. was wondering if it was finished and what if any problem were encountered and if there was any advice on the installation process.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have heard that with this kit you have to cut off some of the stock mounting points and weld in the new parts making it impossible to ever go back to stock if you had to for any reason.

That is about the only info I can offer on this kit.

Bill

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
You have to cut off the lower control arm frame mounrs. You also have to use wheels with a certain amount of backspacing.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You have to use wheels with a certain amount of backspacing on pretty much any vehicle don't you? I was thinking about going with a Fab Tech lift also, I just don't know if cutting on my truck is worth the extra 1/2 inch compared to say a Skyjacker or Superlift? Just stay away from Whiplash...am I off the subject again?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with the skyjacker you do not have to cut off or modify any major mounting points? I really do not have a problem w/ cutting my truck. i plan on driving it till it dies and i wont be going back to stock.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Either kit is a good kit. Not many have the FabTech so you will be the different one. The longer lower arms will help with axle centering at the extreme droop, but are more vulnerable to rocks, etc. The Skyjacker has the shorter arms, you droop will impact caster and axle center sooner than the FabTech.

Both work real well, I have seen pics of both in action (the Skyjacker personally, the FabTech in action pics)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would have to do something about the damn blue of the fab-tech before i install it though. like rattle can flat black to match rest of the under carrage of my truck. or maybe chrome them cuz you know chrome gets you home, adds horsepower and performance.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The Fabtech requires cutting off the lower arm mounts. They provide a bolt on mount near the transfer case skidplate to mount the longer arms. You only need specific backspacing if you run the front double shock kit which I highly recommend and it should be 4.25 to 4.50. Welding is only required if you use the Fabtech trac bar mount which I don't recommend. Order the D.T. Trac bar and you won't have to weld a thing and the guy who installed mine said it was worlds above the stock set up. If you would like I can send you as many pictures of my set up as needed. By the way I love the kit and think it rides awesome. I did however opt for Rancho RS9000's rather than the Fabtech shocks. E-mail or message me if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is the backspacing on stock '95 rims? i do not have enough money for rims and tires also. it might look alittle funny w/ 5+" of lift w/ my 33" tires. maybe i should wait until i can do get both rim/tires and lift all at the same time

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes - The Fab-Tech lift Tech write up is MIA - Baby came and put everything on hold. :): Anywho - I LOVE the lift and what the hell is the purpose of putting a lift on and then having to take it off at some point?

I mean, if I can't do the lifted truck - than I don't need the truck. It adds value and I would sell it as I built it. I find the Fab-Tech is the most comfortable riding system I have experienced. I have not had to "Retighten" bolts, just grease it. It allows for a longer lower link arm and it just makes the world of difference.

Honestly, I bought the lift for the engineering of it as well as durability & driveability. I wouldn't go back - nor would I choose a lesser lift if I ever had another Dodge! :):
I will dig up the article and get the dust off of it so Jason can get it posted!
John

35x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's on Centerline 15x10's

·
Registered
424 Posts
I bought the complete 'system' from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers. It cost me under $1900 for the COMPLETE (nothing needed except drill bits & welder)system, and the only thing I did on the side was brake pads. No biggie really. How comfortable are you with mechanical stuff?!
John

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Don't worry so much about 33's they won't look too small. After all, full articulation is what you're after right. As soon as my SX's wear out I will be removing the body lift and running 33/14.50-16.5's with just the 5.5" suspension. I ran 33's on my last Ram with five inches of lift and it looked and worked great. Good luck and like luv24by say's you don't put on a lift kit expecting to take if off some day so just do it and enjoy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts