Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here it is... i had just finished cleaning my k and n air filter today so i fut it back into the box and started big green up i let it run for a little then my friend needed to go pick up a new shock for his jimmy so we headed down to napa for one on the way down to napa my truck got progrsivly louder and louder till it got to really freakin loud, when i got back to my friends house i checked my exhaust there was a bolt with no nut or washer on it right off header were it bolts to the pipes that go to my Cat. i dono why all of a sudden it would get loud with me cleaning my air filter or nock a nut. would it be somthing else? thanks for puttn up with my run on sentances. thanks alot .. josh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Coincidence I'd say.

I used to do work on automated US Postal equipment, designing upgrades for the poorly designed original equipment. Sometimes I'd install a mod on one end of the machine and something would break soon after on the other end and some people would blame the mod. It was always just a coincidence. I'd often do a complete maintenance check of the entire equipment (and replace parts) just to avoid this.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If the exhaust is leaking before it goes through the cats, then it certainly would be very loud. Yes it may be a coincidence but it sounds like maybe you blew a gasket out from where the header meets the block or where the collector pipes are.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You might find that there was/is no exhaust manifold gaskets installed. (unless you installed a set) A few posts have been brought up stating that Dodge didn't use gaskets on the factory manifolds.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
has nothing to do with the filter... nut came loose that's all. as it heated up and bounced around the gap got wider so it got louder. just tighten it back up. (check the other nuts they will probably be loose too.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-08 08:57, Badunit wrote:
Coincidence I'd say.

I used to do work on automated US Postal equipment, designing upgrades for the poorly designed original equipment. Sometimes I'd install a mod on one end of the machine and something would break soon after on the other end and some people would blame the mod. It was always just a coincidence. I'd often do a complete maintenance check of the entire equipment (and replace parts) just to avoid this.

my dad works in the post office's body shop in downtown chicago, i hear it all the time on how crappily built or poorly desgined the LLV's and the trucks are.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You guys are waaaaay off here. Can't you see what happened?? Open your fin eyes and just think. He cleaned out his filter.......causing massive amounts of fresh air to flow into the engine and get burned up. Now the exhaust can't handle all the air so it pops the bolt. DUHHH :lol:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off thanks for the help... i got under there got a new nut bolt and washer put em in tightend every thing down... worked like a charm altho... i think i destroyed my cat=)im gettn alot of back firing good thing i just got im'ed so itle be a while be for i have to replace it. thanks again... Josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts