Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I live in Cali and am worried about the cops around here giving me crap all day bout my stacks. I used to know a guy that ran an electronic actuated valve on his exhaust to switch between almost straight headers, and a full exhaust system. I was thinking of running the same type of thing to switch between stacks and a pipe to dump out the back of the truck. This would also be nice after a rain, you could just switch to the tailpipe, start her up, run for a bit, then switch to stacks, and no soot covered bed. Anyone know if this could be done in 4" and if it would work for a diesel. Im a$$uming the guy i knew used much smaller, prolly 2.5", 3" etc , and it was a gasser. thanks in advance for your advice.

Branden

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
They make exhaust cutouts, but I don't know if they have them for 4" pipe. Summit has an electronic one, and I believe they have the manual, cable-actuated one. Why would the cops give you crap about the stacks? Because of the noise, or just because you have stacks?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because of the location of the exhaust exit. Im in a first geh dodge, so i dont have a computer to be able to adjust my fueling form in the cab, so when i get on it, its going to smoke, and i can image cops being very angry with my truck puffing out black smoke along the freeway.
As a seconde reason, it'd be ncie to be able to switch to an exit in front of the rear wheel when towing to avoid buildup on my trailer.

Branden

·
Registered
286 Posts
As long as you have the proper exhaust (cats & muffler) I don't see how the cops could mess with you. Its a bunch of peps around the house running stacks on pick-ups. I haven't never heard of a law about where your exhaust has to exit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
#1 California is a whole different ballgame when it comes to emissions. I'm not sure on all the regulations, but i know they are strict.

#2 He shouldn't have a cat on his cummins. Correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was under the impression that your exhaust had to exit behind the cab (or behind where any passengers would be sitting such as in a van) but it seems like most are pretty lax about it.
I don't know about a 4" valve. But I wouldn't be worrying about it either. Just :flipoff: the cops and say see ya. Nothing illegal about stacks vs under-bed exhaust. They could raise hell on ya if your truck is straight-piped, but if it isn't there should be no problem

·
Registered
286 Posts
On 2005-12-13 22:17, snaplane2 wrote:
#1 California is a whole different ballgame when it comes to emissions. I'm not sure on all the regulations, but i know they are strict.

#2 He shouldn't have a cat on his cummins. Correct me if I'm wrong

Yeap, the cummins has got a cat, along with all the others.

If you remove the cat and muffler, the cummins sound the best to me.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Even the first gen's have cats? The damn thing should be emissions exempt. I could be wrong, but I don't remember the older dodges having them. The only thing I could see them getting pissed about is the black smoke.

·
Registered
410 Posts
i was under the impression that the cummins runs a resonator and a muffler, not a cat, i may be wrong though as ive yet to even look at my exhaust

·
Registered
104 Posts
i had a 89 ford that i turboed and straight piped through a stack and had it that way in so-cal for a yr. , never had a problem and mine smoked all kinds... :fu:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The first generation cummins only had a exhaust no cat no resignator. I think they may have started the use of a resignator in 94 if i remember right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only exhaust piece i have is a muffler, no cats or resonators. Is it even possible to run a muffler with cats and a single cab, not much room to stick the muffler. I was under the impression that the black smoke, even if only occasional would have cops on my all day long, if that isnt the case, no need for the valve. It may be ncie for towing, but a little soot on the trailer isnt too bad of a thing. does diesel soot wash off fairly easily?

Branden

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't have a diesel, but from my knowledge the black soot is pretty hard to get off of certain things. But I'm sure some of you diesel guys can think of ways to make it come off easily. :D:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
it does if you wash it off every few days and not let it sit on there forever,,my buddies all spray their trailers down with spray on wax who run stacks and all of their horse trailers spray right off with just reg water pressure so im guessing that may help some too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know there is a switch over for autos, but not sure of the pipe diameter. I'm not sure if this would even work, but I have seen Corsa captains call exhaust for boats. The main pipe appeared to be 4" to 5" diameter.

Have not tried this or even heard of someone else using the Corsa.

Try this link, hope it works, It'll give you an idea of what I'm referring to.

http://www.theboatstore.org/Corsa.html

Brian

·
Registered
532 Posts
Only thing I've ever heard of if people getting pulled over for eccessive smoke...which is like stopping traffic...If your trailer is white use alot of wax...but if it is any other color it will wash right off no problem...it kinda discolors white alittle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts