Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about any after-market exaust manifolds for a '82 318 that will bolt up to the stock Y-pipe?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ok, this isn't talking from truck experience but rather personal experience with my '96 Z-28. If you get other manifolds (why wouldn't you get headers instead?? They'll give more power) have a Y-pipe made. I haven't seen any available for Dodge vehicles but I know they make them for Camaro's... might be worth checking out with Flowmaster/BBK/Borla/etc... (any exhaust company that makes a cat-back exhaust might make a Y-pipe for your truck). The stock Y-pipe typically is very restrictive.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think what my dad planned on doing is cutting the Y-pipe before the 2 pipes meet to make it dual exaust. We don't know if headers will fit on my truck bc i did an engine swap. I put a 318,727,NP208,Dana 44 front, and 9 1/4 rear from a '82 Ram Charger into my '90 Dakota. The frame on my Dakota was 2.5 inches narrower than the RC's. We know the Y- pipe will fit. Don't know if headers will. So I don't think i'm going to get headers. But I would like new manifolds to get more power and to go with the dressed up engine.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here's an idea that would work for you. Since you don't have inside frame clearance why not make/buy headers that will run on the outside of the frame? I'm gonna run headers like that when I get to Arizona. They look real trick too because you can polish them up and they are easier to keep clean/shiny.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i'm going to stick with manifolds. I don't know what make though. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
464 Posts
All you have to do is cut the flanges off your old Y-pipe, and take them to a exhaust shop and have them make (or do it yourself) the dual exhaust setup from there. You could weld or get clamps, but if you go with clamps I have to recommend getting "band clamps" they are bands of steel/aluminum? that wrap around the seam instead of your normal clamp that just pinches everything.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I probably will stay with the factory manifolds bc I don't know if the bolts will break off or not. I'm scared of that happening. But i'm still going to make it dual exaust.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Look for Shorty headers (JBA makes some) since they typically bolt right up to the stock y-pipe lcoation and thus there may not be any clearance issues. Just a thought

·
Registered
464 Posts
You shouldn't really have to worry about bolts breaking. I pulled the factory manifolds off my '79 Dodge (willing to bet that its the first time they've ever been off) with no problem at all. Didn't even have to use WD-40 or penetrating lube.

But thats up to you.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought I heard of shorty headers but I couldn't remember who made them, now that you mentioned JBA I remember seeing an add in one of my off road magazines.I'll have to look into those.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was not sure if the bolts would break or not bc my friend took the manifolds off of his '89 Ranger and he snapped a bolt off. Maybe that's bc it's a Ranger. If they didn't break off of your '79 318, then I wouldn't think they would break off of mine. When I get new manifolds I will find out if they bolts break or not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A "shorty" header is a header designed to fit onto the stock y pipe for any particular vehicle, as opposed to a full length header which would have to be welded into your existing exhaust setup. "Shorty" headers are made by nearly all the big name companies ie. Borla, Bassani, Gibson, Heddman, etc. I know that for sure, Borla offers lifetime warranties on many of their headers, and i believe that Gibson does the same. I would just suggest that whatever you choose, go with something from one of the big exhaust companies and use high grade fasteners like ARP. That way you shouldn't have to worry about any bolts breaking.
As for taking off your old exhaust manifolds . . . soak the heck out of the bolts before trying to loosen them . . . so you don't strip or break the heads off. Anyhow, good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree with Jason look for the shortty headers

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Someone has recently done a flow comparison between differnt mopar manifolds and headers. Aparently the older Magnum manifolds flow quite well, but the newer ones are a bit more restrictive, but they still flow well compared to headers.

The "shorty" headers will move the torque peak up into the RPM range, well above where it is now, and probably you'll lose some bottom-end.

Running the stock manifolds with a 3" mandrel-bent y-pipe will get better low-end torque than factory. Also running the full-length or Tri-Y headers will get you more low-end torque.

Running dual-exhaust will only help in the uper RPM ranges. The best for torque is to go a 3" y-pipe or full-length headers with 3" collectors and y-pipes, and then run a single 3" all the way back (with cat and muffler of choice).

If you're going for HP, then run shorties and a full dual setup (providing you don't need to worry about emissions stuff). For torque, full-length headers if you can get them to fit (not likely), stock manifolds otherwise, and 3" out through the muffler.

·
Registered
275 Posts
not sure if it wil help but i got mine off my 96 318 after i put headers on if it will work let me know ill hook you up just pay the shiping woody

·
Registered
220 Posts
when you do take the manifolds off try to make sure that your taking the bolt off the stud and not taking the stud out of the head. if the wrong stud comes out you may have to do some water clean up.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i learned that from experience. when i put my first charger motor together, it was pissing out the header bolts because they didnt seal the thread good enough. a little radiator stop leak fixed that though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts