Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's my question...would it be "safe" for my exhaust to exit the tailpipe underneath my truck. I went 'wheeling today...on a jeep trail, and now one of my 3.5" chrome tips has a nice crescent shape to it. I was just thinking about cutting off the tips and either letting the exhaust run out either above my rear axle or just hidden behind my rear bumper. Anybody have any opinions on this. Where do you guys have your exhaust exiting from? Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice thing about California, ironic huh?
Is that you are allowed to modify your exuast by any means after your cat. converter. Hence "Cat Back"... Anyways, following this idea, you can do what they (Exhaust techs) call a "Donkey Nut", where you simply cut the pipe aft the Cat. This would get it out of the way. drawbacks are it's louder, and not always a good sound. Also it puts the pollutaints right under the passenger compartment, and if you have holes in the body the exhaust can leak in. This is a REALLY bad thing when considering Carbon Monoxide. I wouldn't suggest it, but thats an option. Take Care, Got Mud?
Joe

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have my 3-inch single pipe exiting in the stock location but tucked up a little higher with double hangers. The split rear exit system I had before was always getting banged up offroad. When I switched over to my single flowmaster exhaust the old gibson system was trashed and I had replaced the driver's side rear hanger at least 5 times. Chrome tips under the rear bumper look great but they are very vunerable offroad unless your truck is very tall.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got mine dumped out the back and I have never hit anything! I dont go every weekend but only 2x a month! I had just added the roll pan so the tips are sticking out way to far!

Ray

·
Registered
267 Posts
i like the look of the pipes coming up out of the bed or beside a stepside bed (think little red express). comes from driving semi's for a living. purpose of the upright pipes is to get the exhaust away from the cab. i have had a wide variety of vehicles, but i stayed fairly consistent with the exit locations. my streetrods always have the exit straight out the rear. my trucks always exit to the sides. i specifically do not recommend dumping under the truck unless you plan on never being in a situation where your exit is under water or god forbid clogged with mud. yes, the exit will be inherently self clearing in water, but its excess strain. and in mud you might end up wasting a set of rings. been there, not doing that again.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
dubge, you should have them modified to come out of holes in the roll pan, that would look cool, and you then would never hit them... unless you smaked the roll pan.. DOAH! Anyway, I have mone straight out the back... nice thing about that, when you kick it down you hear a nice rumble but its not over bearing like it is when its dumped, of out the side. Plus, I tucked mine up tight th the bumper and I also have a towing package so that hangs down further than my pipes, so they are kind protected.. I also kept them short a little so they are not sticking out to far.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
hey dubge where did u find that roll pan? how much was it i love the looks of it i want to get one for my white sport.

thanks

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I dont smell it in the cab. Never have, even with the back window open. I dont know, maybe the Tonneau cover has somethin to do with it. Anyway, I like it out the back... I road with someone that had it out the sides... with his side windows open it was anyoing. mine is only loud if I have the back window open, and then it isnt bad.

·
Registered
295 Posts
On my 97'Dakota I have dual out the back, which is protected by my hitch. On my 84' Ram I have them dumped off under the bed in front of my axle. I had to cut the pipes to put my lift on, I liked how it sounded so it's stayed that way. The only problem is I've now melted my shock boot. On my 97' Ram, Diesel, the exhaust comes out to the side, in front of the passenger rear tire. The only thing bad about this is that my rim and tire get black after awhile, but it will wash off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
mine came sraight out the back... didnt like it.I cut them off at the rear axle now its alot more raspy but not too much louder.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Mine exit out the rear, they are tight on the bumper for clearence and on each side of the hitch for a little protection. I like the look of the pipes exiting behind the rear tires at a 45 degree angle too. But the tips get ate up by debris.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I put my exhaust tip right in front of my right rear tire. I find this the best as is doesn't trap the C.M under the truck, it doesn't the the crap kicked out of it, and nothing gets sprayed at it from the wheels spinning.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i just got mt exhaust done and i have mine exsit before the right rear tie. i like it ... it goves it a good sound and like he said clear of stuff hittin it. not to expesive for the work because there is not much pipe to use.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
if you have to take it for emissions testing they will probaly send you to the exhaust shop(well thats what they do here in illinois, and that was even before the dyno testing). i think it has something to do with the fumes coming into the cab or them being to lazy to bend over and find the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I'm still looking into what I want to do with this. It actually looks kind of cool dented the way it is now though. I may just leave it until I get the new custom bumpers. Oh yeah, I also flattened about six inches of my drivers rear bumper, next to the exhaust pipe. I noticed it after I washed all the mud off of it. I'm still not quite sure what I hit, but that's alright. It was fun taking my Ram on a trail that some of the Jeeps in my area won't take theirs on...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts